Oddities

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Oddities

Post by Ivor »

I was drawn to this peculiar album in Oxfam on a recent "hit and run" visit. It dates from 1966 and I really mean "dates"! Not in a bad way really but the scaled down big band sound does mark it as very sixties. Musically it's diverse covering a lot of show classics but also Dylan, John Barry, Carmichael, Bacharach and Allan Toussaint. Obviously the recording process is the star here... recorded onto 35mm film tape rather than standard recording studio tape *(at x 15 times the cost!) and while the left/right panning might be unsubtle it is at least interesting and the music is pretty damn good too!
I suppose this will be something of a test or reference album but first it needs a good cleaning to get rid of static and crackle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Light

I was reminded that in radio, before mini disks, we would use standard video tape to record programmes as the quality was noticeably better than standard or even metal cassette tapes.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Re: Oddities

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:I was drawn to this peculiar album in Oxfam on a recent "hit and run" visit. It dates from 1966 and I really mean "dates"! Not in a bad way really but the scaled down big band sound does mark it as very sixties. Musically it's diverse covering a lot of show classics but also Dylan, John Barry, Carmichael, Bacharach and Allan Toussaint. Obviously the recording process is the star here... recorded onto 35mm film tape rather than standard recording studio tape *(at x 15 times the cost!) and while the left/right panning might be unsubtle it is at least interesting and the music is pretty damn good too!
I suppose this will be something of a test or reference album but first it needs a good cleaning to get rid of static and crackle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Light

I was reminded that in radio, before mini disks, we would use standard video tape to record programmes as the quality was noticeably better than standard or even metal cassette tapes.
Nice one Ivor. You just can't beat the 'junk' shops for finding long lost oddities....Definitely something I would have chanced on myself. Very interesting indeed!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think I have one of those VCR sound recorders here, a tascam unit I think. Must dig it out, it'll be the reel to reel of the future!!!
Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Oddities? That's different. Hmmm. Seems ? Oddly it seems. Not everything seems is as at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Heres another one. Needs to be played loud, especially the test run!

Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Picked up in another charity shop....

An album of 1920s steam trains recorded in 1967, lightning strikes, thunderstorms an all! I fuckin' love it! Something very surreal and yet soothing about it.

also this ... a trackability test record for Shure cartridges from 1973. Good for putting niggling doubts in your head

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah you just cannot beat the Charity Shops. Right place, right time you lucky sod!
How did you get on with the test record especially with sibilance ;)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:Ah you just cannot beat the Charity Shops. Right place, right time you lucky sod!
How did you get on with the test record especially with sibilance ;)
Not good on sibilance, I must address it. Soon.