How would you build your music PC today?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: How would you build your music PC today?

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote:They are like wild horses these tricked audio PC's Adam but once you figure out the sequence or quirks to get it going and you get a few boots on it then it will play ball......that is until you go tweaking something else then it will just throw a fit again.

I know the above is no help but do persist as when you do get it going you will soon forget all the pain.
I never had this kind of a problem before!
At the moment I found one printer usb cable and I will cut as short as posibile to see if that might solve anything.
I hope that with soldered conection I will not loose more that the gain of the shorter cable
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
Sligolad wrote:They are like wild horses these tricked audio PC's Adam but once you figure out the sequence or quirks to get it going and you get a few boots on it then it will play ball......that is until you go tweaking something else then it will just throw a fit again.

I know the above is no help but do persist as when you do get it going you will soon forget all the pain.
At the moment I found one printer usb cable and I will cut as short as posibile to see if that might solve anything.
I hope that with soldered conection I will not loose more that the gain of the shorter cable
out of curiosity if you can spare the crocodile jumpers cut the crocodiles off and solder direct at same lenght
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
sima66 wrote:

out of curiosity if you can spare the crocodile jumpers cut the crocodiles off and solder direct at same lenght
You mean instead of usb cable?
Directly from regen into the usb card? To bypass the usb connectors?

BTW, it worked with the shity usb cable and now doesn't with JCAT usb cable!
I will try a couple more times, because I don't even plan to listen with this shity usb!!!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sorry misread your post nevermind

Think pearse had issue with ppa.amd regen i think
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:sorry misread your post nevermind

Think pearse had issue with ppa.amd regen i think
Now its working.
I just had a clock problem.....for no reason! Just stoped! Now its working again!
Im laughing and crying in the same time!!!!!
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:What about all the 3m crap in there?? A mere touch on that stuff and you will need to merrily reboot your pc.

Example in my case the streacom case lid has two sheets stuck to the underside. If I put the lid on the case correctly no boot up possible. Remove and hey presto working pc
Thats exactly what hapened to me now, when I got clock problem!
Even with this mobo I had no clock problem until I put two little pieces of 3m around usb card.
I wonder if they are a bit conductive?

With PPA mobo/clock I had them in same place and never ever had problem!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

whats it sound like when it is working?
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:whats it sound like when it is working?
Honestly, I never got a chance to listen!!

Now I taped the 3m on the bottom and all good.

In a couple of minutes, I will hopefully get to sit and listen!
So if you don't hear from me tonight, that's a very good sign! :)

BTW, the clock, taping, pulling the wires, doesn't affect in any way. Steady like a rock!!! :)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:whats it sound like when it is working?
Honestly, I never got a chance to listen!!

Now I taped the 3m on the bottom and all good.

In a couple of minutes, I will hopefully get to sit and listen!
So if you don't hear from me tonight, that's a very good sign! :)

BTW, the clock, taping, pulling the wires, doesn't affect in any way. Steady like a rock!!! :)
Any drama today?
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Luckily no drama for the rest of the night! :)

No drama, but BIG surprise!!!
I never expected this much of a difference between the PPA clock and the one from Nigel!
To my disappointment surprise went in the way that I didn't expected.
Nigel's clock sound much more brighter, tinier, screamy in comparation to PPA.
PPA clock, so relaxed, more body, a totally analog sound. Now makes me wonder how the OCXO would sound?!!

PPA clock is far away from mobo and with much beter insulation, but still powered from mobo, and the other clock is like a leaf in the wind, crucified between 3 wires, but powered directly with 3.3v!
What makes this difference, I don't know, but soon as the first song started I knew that something is wrong!

Again, this is in my system and my impressions!