Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581

fergus

Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581

Post by fergus »

This is a particularly favourite piece of chamber music of mine ever since I first heard it a long time ago now. I have collected some eleven different versions of it at this stage and I have recently begun to listen to them all again. I have put two posts into the Listening Thread but I am now going to designate a thread of its own to this work for future reference for those who might want to research it. I will start it with the versions that I currently have on vinyl and will follow that up with the CD versions in my collection.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581

Post by fergus »

It is always interesting to hear Goodman's take; an enjoyable performance with a touch of something different.
Last edited by fergus on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is the first of two versions that I have with de Peyer playing clarinet and it is a very fine, spirited and full sounding version.
Last edited by fergus on Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is the second version that I have with de Peyer playing clarinet. I found it to be a little dull and the other one above to be much more interesting.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a beautifully played, smooth, flowing performance, being brisk and energetic without being rushed.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have this recording in the 170 Mozart cd set and it is very fine indeed:

Brandis Quartet and Karl Leister clarinet

I also have de Peyer playing with the Melos Ensemble and am more inclined to listen to Leister and the Brandis Quartet because I LOVE Leister's playing, he really is splendid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

fergus wrote:This is a particularly favourite piece of chamber music of mine ever since I first heard it a long time ago now. I have collected some eleven different versions of it at this stage and I have recently begun to listen to them all again.
Ah but do you have the version with Benny Goodman and the Budapest String Quartet ? ! My Dad had an old 78 of this and I remember mentioning this recording to a certain eminent clarinetist in the RTE orchestra who was aghast at my taste.

Oh dear.... I see you just posted that above. I didn't recognise the cover, confusing it with another recording I have of violins and cellos sitting on chairs....
Seán

Post by Seán »

Abminor wrote:
fergus wrote:This is a particularly favourite piece of chamber music of mine ever since I first heard it a long time ago now. I have collected some eleven different versions of it at this stage and I have recently begun to listen to them all again.
Ah but do you have the version with Benny Goodman and the Budapest String Quartet ? ! My Dad had an old 78 of this and I remember mentioning this recording to a certain eminent clarinetist in the RTE orchestra who was aghast at my taste.

Oh dear.... I see you just posted that above. I didn't recognise the cover, confusing it with another recording I have of violins and cellos sitting on chairs....
Alas Benny Goodman appears to have had mixed fortunes when performing classical music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

This performance on CD played by Jack Brymer and the Allegri Quartet….

This is a fine, smooth, warm sounding performance that is quite appealing and which is well played.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Another CD version, this time by the Berlin Soloists....

This is a refined performance which is well played. The tempo is on the brisk side which instills a slightly more spirited performance.