Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581

fergus

Re: Mozart: Clarinet Quintet in A major, K. 581

Post by fergus »

A medium paced, musical and an all round fine, enjoyable performance.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Good man Fergus, I must get more recordings of this lovely work.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Good man Fergus, I must get more recordings of this lovely work.
Yes, it is an exquisite work Seán.

One thing that I wold recommend if one was purchasing is to buy the work in at least one version played on the basset clarinet [for which the work was written]. The tonal difference between it and the modern instrument is significant, especially in the lower registers. All of the above works listed above are played on the modern instrument. There is nothing wrong with them and I am very happy with them as you can see. I have four more to list however, and all are played on the basset clarinet.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a very fine performance played on the basset clarinet. The instrumental tones are very well captured on the recording. It is a medium paced, warm and very smooth performance.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is another very fine performance played on the basset clarinet. Slightly faster than medium pace, the work moves along quite well. King’s playing is smooth, elegant and effortless.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

This is a very fine performance played on the basset clarinet. The instrumental tones are very well captured on the recording. It is a medium paced, warm and very smooth performance.
That's the one that interests me.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

That's the one that interests me.

Both works are well played there Seán; you will not be disappointed and I can warmly recommend the CD.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A very well played and somewhat poignant performance which is an unusual interpretation for this work. Things change in the final movement where most the variations are played with some gaiety.
fergus

Post by fergus »

My final contribution to my current list of versions of this work. This I find to be the most “Mozartian” interpretation so far. The pace is brisk but not rushed with a very keen sense of forward momentum. The clarinet is a basset clarinet and all of the instrumentalists play superbly. To date, this one is my favourite.
Seán

Post by Seán »

My final contribution to my current list of versions of this work. This I find to be the most “Mozartian” interpretation so far. The pace is brisk but not rushed with a very keen sense of forward momentum. The clarinet is a basset clarinet and all of the instrumentalists play superbly. To date, this one is my favourite.
I have singled out Mozart performances by l'archibudelli as those I should asap, so thanks Fergus, that is now at the top of my basket.