Jazz musicians playing Classical and vice versa.

Seán

Re: Jazz musicians playing Classical and vice versa.

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Well done Seán!
Thanks Fergus.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
james

Post by james »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Ellington ... edy+bartok

Includes music by Duke Ellington [I bought it for the Bartok !!]

Its available second-hand for £0.01

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Seán wrote:
On Saturday CD Review on BBC Radio 3 has a slot with the British Jazz trumpeter Guy Barker:
11.00am Guy Barker on newly released jazz interpretations of classical music

Guy Barker joins Andrew to discuss recent recordings of cornerstones from the classical repertoire, reinterpreted as jazz.

ReWrite of Spring
David Liebman (saxophone), Marilyn Mazur (percussion), Aarhus Jazz Orchestra, Lars Moller (conductor)
DACAPO 8226117-18 (2CD)

Bach to Parker
Thomas Gould (violin)
CHAMPS HILL RECORDS CHRCD078 (CD)

Peter and the Wolf and Jazz!
David Tennant (narrator), The Amazing Keystone Big Band
LE CHANT DU MONDE 2742378 (CD)

Duke Ellington: The Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1956-1961
Including: TCHAIKOVSKY arr. Ellington and Strayhorn: The Nutcracker Suite
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra

SONY/LEGACY 88697938892 (10CD)
I caught that on Saturday morning and it was fun. I especially liked the Prokofiev played by a Big Bang - all those different styles cleverly worked in, from Duke Ellington through Miles Davis 'cool' to Palm Court Trio. Here's a trailer for those who missed it:

The Rite of Spring is not the most obvious fodder for jazz. I recall this remarkably ambitious working by The Bad Plus.

As for Nigel Kennedy's latest (third?) version of the 4 Seasons: least said the better.
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Probably upset the purists here but i actually got into classical music through listening to Nigel Kennedy many moons ago,and now my grand daughter is learning to play the cello and loves Nigel.I suppose the figure is unknown of how many people has got to understand classical music through him
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Seán

Post by Seán »

Abminor wrote: As for Nigel Kennedy's latest (third?) version of the 4 Seasons: least said the better.
Oh, it is AWFUL
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:Probably upset the purists here but i actually got into classical music through listening to Nigel Kennedy many moons ago,and now my grand daughter is learning to play the cello and loves Nigel.I suppose the figure is unknown of how many people has got to understand classical music through him
Not at all Gussy, he has given pleasure to a great many people.
Seán

Post by Seán »

In 1945 Igor Stravinsky was very taken with the calibre of the musicians in the Woody Herman Orchestra and wrote a concerto for Herman and his First Herd (or Orchestra) entitled the Ebony Concerto and included a harp because he don't want the band to swing.
And to think that the sax section in Herman's Second Herd (1947) had Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, Herbie Steward, and Serge Chaloff, but I digress.

Last edited by Seán on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:Probably upset the purists here but i actually got into classical music through listening to Nigel Kennedy many moons ago,and now my grand daughter is learning to play the cello and loves Nigel.I suppose the figure is unknown of how many people has got to understand classical music through him
Can't argue with that for a minute.

What do you think of his latest offering?
Seán

Post by Seán »

Benny Goodman has recorded several piece of classical music and was rather safe in Mozart. Here he is on a 1938 recording of Fergus' beloved K581 with the wonderful Budapest String Quartet:

I cannot find a copy of Goodman's ill fated attempt at the Nielsen Clarinet Concerto on youtube. He had great difficulty with it because he didn't have the technical ability to play some of the passages so they had to slow it down for him. One wonders why they bothered.
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Abminor wrote:
Can't argue with that for a minute.

What do you think of his latest offering?
Well what can i say it is different and i can see the younger generation really going for this.I had to drive all the way to Limerick last weekend to get it for my Grand Daughter and she is only 9 so what can i say
Last edited by Gussy Finknottle on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins