Jazz musicians playing Classical and vice versa.

Seán

Re: Jazz musicians playing Classical and vice versa.

Post by Seán »

In 1959 Duke Ellington brought nine orchestral percussionists into the recording studio and together with his orchestra they recorded two tracks. They were original compositions written while the guys were in the studio. Here is the first one, Malletoba Spank: 2 vibraphones, 2 xylophones, a marimba, glockenspiel, bongoes, kettle drum, etc and of course his own drummer, Sam Woodyard:

Malletoba Spank:

Tymperturbably Blue

Does it work? I LOVE it!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:I had to drive all the way to Limerick last weekend to get it for my Grand Daughter and she is only 9 so what can i say
I love it! Classical music has a future.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gussy Finknottle wrote: Well what can i say it is different and i can see the younger generation really going for this.I had to drive all the way to Limerick last weekend to get it for my Grand Daughter and she is only 9 so what can i say
Ah good man Gussy.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

Abminor wrote:
Gussy Finknottle wrote:I had to drive all the way to Limerick last weekend to get it for my Grand Daughter and she is only 9 so what can i say
I love it! Classical music has a future.
Well I suppose it is very accessible for kids,it's rocked up and modern it kind of dips their toes in the water.HMV in Limerick told me they had sold 17 copies in 2 days.Jaco Pastorius had the same problem,he was frowned upon by the Jazz purists but ended up being copied by about every bass player on the planet.I don't think NK new album should be taken too seriously it's just a bit of fun and not for everyone but hey happy days
Can't believe that nobody has mentioned the great Eberhard Weber
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

This was the theme for Saturday Classics on Radio 3 yesterday (full details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pv3h1 ) and apart from the Nutracker ala Duke Ellington and Dvorak Humeresque by Art Tatum that Sean referred to earlier in this thread, there were a few new ones (for me):
Donald Lambert, a stride pianist I was unaware of, playing Wagner no less!

Django Reinhard (with Stephane Grappelli playing Bach

and most bizarrely, a recent Goldberg variation from Uri Caine that starts off normally and then takes a different theme for each variation from Salsa to .... (what is this????)