Fan-less CPU cooler

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Fan-less CPU cooler

Post by jkeny »

I bet it plays organ music really well ? :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

O come on guys, it's only a 60-70 pipes.......if I don't go on the sides! :) :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

That really is neat.

Who was the fellow who recommended brass for a CPU cooler? Whose advice I took and have been pleased with the result - but your idea of drilling those holes and fitting those tubes would be the finishing touch.

Impressive! Great idea and the executions looks pretty damn good, too.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks Rick,

Shame you dont remember the guy who recomended you to use brass on top of your cpu! :)

This time I used copper block and copper pipes. I still wanted to keep the weight on top.
Copper is much better heat conductor and I compared with the same brass block I like it copper even better!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
tony

Post by tony »

Wow that is supercereal!! What a design I have to have that it must dissipate all RFI present. It will just disappear down the pipes.
Can't remember the looney that promoted the brass block contraption but it will come back to me at some point.

On serious note it is a work of art Adam. My nofan spindly pipe yoke will sound thin and uninspiring compared to that muscular masterpiece.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, I thought it was you but the use of copper threw me and I thought it must have been someone else. Your reasoning and experience with copper as a damper, which would have been my first choice, got me to order the brass.

SO NOW YOU TELL me you have changed alliances and have joined the copper forces!

No question brass would make drilling those holes much more difficult.

I intend to follow your lead but I will get a machinist to do the drilling for me.

Without doubt, you are the leader when it comes to CPU cooling!

And I will remember next time!
sima66

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:Well, I thought it was you but the use of copper threw me and I thought it must have been someone else. Your reasoning and experience with copper as a damper, which would have been my first choice, got me to order the brass.

SO NOW YOU TELL me you have changed alliances and have joined the copper forces!

No question brass would make drilling those holes much more difficult.

I intend to follow your lead but I will get a machinist to do the drilling for me.

Without doubt, you are the leader when it comes to CPU cooling!

And I will remember next time!
I'm sorry if I mislead you, but this are all uncharted waters and we improve every day! :)

I tried cooper before under&top my equipment and always got a dull sound, never like it! Brass I like it everywhere. That's how I got the idea to put on cpu and I really loved.........and NEVER removed! :)
The reason why I tried now cooper on top of my cpu, is that this time it really have to work like cpu cooler and cooper is much better for transfer.
Before (when I recommended brass) I used brass only for dampening vibrations (or at list that was the idea), because I already had a passive cooling from my Streacom case.

Just for the record, drilling brass is easy, but drilling/treading copper is a pain in the ars!
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Not complaining, don't get me wrong!

I would hate to think we have got as far as we can go.

My oversized block of brass has worked just fine with the CPU running at 800 mhz. It does get really hot when running at default but it sounds bad so who cares?

Shows what I know about machining metals. Assumptions get me in trouble every time.

Thanks for the counsel.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:Not complaining, don't get me wrong!

I would hate to think we have got as far as we can go.

My oversized block of brass has worked just fine with the CPU running at 800 mhz. It does get really hot when running at default but it sounds bad so who cares?

Shows what I know about machining metals. Assumptions get me in trouble every time.

Thanks for the counsel.
My knowing about machining metals is only my own experience! And after playing with aluminium and brass I expected the same easy with copper, but I know that I will never try again!
You can easy drill your existing brass block and buy in Home Depot (I'm assuming that you are in the USA) a 1/4" cooper pipe lead for the cold water for fridges. Straighten slowly with hands, cut and hammered slowly into the pre-drilled 1/4" hole. Don't heat directly into the pipe, use some piece of wood between.