Janacek: Sinfonietta

fergus

Janacek: Sinfonietta

Post by fergus »

I have always liked the opening fanfare movement of this work but I have never before really given my full, proper attention to this work as a whole. This listening project was to revisit and familiarise myself with a somewhat neglected work in my collection.

If you are not familiar with this work it is exciting and exhilarating with its edgy harmonies, dissonances and its disjointed compositional style and it still sounds very fresh despite it having been written almost ninety years ago now. It is well worth investigating.

Listed below are the various versions in my collection.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: Janacek: Sinfonietta

Post by fergus »

This is a good performance which has the raw, elemental sound of the military band but one which I ultimately found to be underwhelming.

This I found to be a livelier performance with a bit more gusto and this one has a fine finale.

With both of these performances, however, one gets the impression of restraint, of something being held back.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a performance that brings this work to life for me; contemplative when required and effervescent when called for.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a gently flowing version but with a lovely bite in the brass.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A strong performance with a very dynamic finale where the music builds to a wonderful climax. However, this performance is a little too polished for my taste; very well performed but lacking that “raw edge” for me.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A very simple and eloquent performance which paints wonderful, atmospheric pictures of the various scenes. Great sounding brass too with a very patriotic sounding climax to the finale.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Wonderful bite and vivacity coupled with great tension and excitement make for a truly wonderful live performance. The energy and sense of forward movement is palpable.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Another wonderful performance with great sounding brass once again. This is a very good interpretation; one feels that a story is being narrated [and done so in a very understandable and approachable way].
fergus

Post by fergus »

A crisp, sharp staccato type reading which really reflects the musical content; this performance is full of energy and drive, continually moving the music along and creating a wonderful atmospheric world of sound. A powerful version.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

fergus wrote:Image

Another wonderful performance with great sounding brass once again. This is a very good interpretation; one feels that a story is being narrated [and done so in a very understandable and approachable way].
My favorite for sure!