Battery Power Supply

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Battery Power Supply

Post by jkeny »

Sima, I think the best way to answer your questions is to try these things & report back with your observations or questions - just as you say, no one can know if a Schuman resonator does anything audible unless they try one.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm Sima, I think the best way to answer your questions is to try these things & report back with your observations or questions - just as you say, no one can know if a Schuman resonator does anything audible unless they try one.

The question is would a linear PS make an audible difference, compared to SPS, if used only for float charging the A 123 cells and if is not on the same power line with the stereo system and not connected to the system in any way?
Doesn't mater what the power is for!
Maybe someone already tried, or know the answer?!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:15 pm
jkeny wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm Sima, I think the best way to answer your questions is to try these things & report back with your observations or questions - just as you say, no one can know if a Schuman resonator does anything audible unless they try one.

The question is would a linear PS make an audible difference, compared to SPS, if used only for float charging the A 123 cells and if is not on the same power line with the stereo system and not connected to the system in any way?
Doesn't mater what the power is for!
Maybe someone already tried, or know the answer?!
I know what the question is & there are so many variables that it's difficult/impossible to answer - as has already been posted here it DOES matter what is being powered by the float charged LiFePo4 batteries - if it draws a lot of current, more of the characteristics of the PS doing the charging will be heard.

Why not just try your 4 A123 batteries in series with/without float charging & report back? You can quickly check if an SMPS makes a sonic difference by disconnecting it & listening
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks John, that's excellent idea!
See, so simple, but it didn't came to my mind! :)
I will try in the next couple of days and report back!

Is this the right way to connect the batteries:

Imageimage hosting above 5 mbcertificity.com
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sima66 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 pm Thanks John, that's excellent idea!
See, so simple, but it didn't came to my mind! :)
I will try in the next couple of days and report back!

Is this the right way to connect the batteries:

Imageimage hosting above 5 mbcertificity.com
Yep, that's correct -let us know your findings
www.Ciunas.biz
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks again, John!
And, like Jonathan said, those A123 batteries I already have and I believe that in the worst case, they will sound better with SPS connected, then those Lithium's!
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I finally did the 12v with A123 batteries and could not be happier! Funny thing is that those batteries were siting unused for almost 3 years!

The verdict for using with RR-777:
Compared to lithium battery.......if effect of the unit with Lithium was 5, then with A123 it got to 9-10 scale. This was with no charger connected.
When attached the cheap SPS, the effect was around 7-8 on the same "scale". :)

This is the PS picture before the future makeup:

Imageupload images freecertificity.com
jrling

Post by jrling »

sima - that's good to hear.

I have also found that my surplus A123 26650 batteries sitting in a cool room keep charged up for months at a time without aparent discharge. They are truly superb batteries and well above most others.

I tried to find what current draw your RR-777 takes and found this quote on a forum -

The only specs I can find is on the walwart PSU that came with the unit. Printed on the walwart PSU:
I/P:. AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 0.3A
O/P: DC 12V 1A

The A123 nominal capacity is 2500mAH (2.5 amps for an hour). The PSU is probably (and should be) specced higher than the normal current draw, but at 1A, nominally the 4 A123s in series will provide c. 600mAH (2500/4); so they won't drive the RR-777 for more than about half an hour, if not float charged.

Here's a whacky and cost-effective idea - try using a 12V battery to float charge the A123s, thus avoiding any mains borne interference. Could be a car battery or that mobile power bank you were looking at.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Using a big lead acid battery in parallel with the lifepo4 pack will likely do harm as it will act as a humongous slow capacitor
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jrling wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 am sima - that's good to hear.

I have also found that my surplus A123 26650 batteries sitting in a cool room keep charged up for months at a time without aparent discharge. They are truly superb batteries and well above most others.

I tried to find what current draw your RR-777 takes and found this quote on a forum -

The only specs I can find is on the walwart PSU that came with the unit. Printed on the walwart PSU:
I/P:. AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 0.3A
O/P: DC 12V 1A

The A123 nominal capacity is 2500mAH (2.5 amps for an hour). The PSU is probably (and should be) specced higher than the normal current draw, but at 1A, nominally the 4 A123s in series will provide c. 600mAH (2500/4); so they won't drive the RR-777 for more than about half an hour, if not float charged.

Here's a whacky and cost-effective idea - try using a 12V battery to float charge the A123s, thus avoiding any mains borne interference. Could be a car battery or that mobile power bank you were looking at.
You are right Jonathan, in over a year of sitting, the batteries didn't lost anything!

I'm using one walwart SPS what measure 12.5v (it should be 12v, but that's even better) and it takes 5 hours for the A123 batteries to discharge to 11.5v.
Since I heard that this unit can take voltage up to 14v, i was thinking to take one laptop PS (they are usually 16-18v) and use the regulator to down to 13.5v and use that to charge the batteries!
I don't know how stupid is this idea, but this way I could charge to the higher voltage and the "drop" will be less harmful for the batteries, since it would not be under 12v.