USB cable from PC to DAC, recommendations?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: USB cable from PC to DAC, recommendations?

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote:Lol
You'll do well to make a cable better than a USB a to b adapter

I wonder what the impedance is in one of those?

Jcat USB is one of the best ones and I doubt its 90ohms either

The wireworld is OK but you'll easily make better sounding cable if you can be not so worried by impedance

Do you think I'd advise something that wouldn't work?
Or worse sound bad?
:) OK, good points.

I don't suppose you have any pics of your USB cable that would give me a better idea of how you make them?

I have some silver wire laying around to try, but I would need to get the cotton rope and ptfe tape.

I guess my main question is about the spiraling, how close are the wires to each other, and how many spirals per inch (or per cm for you).

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

randytsuch wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Lol
You'll do well to make a cable better than a USB a to b adapter

I wonder what the impedance is in one of those?

Jcat USB is one of the best ones and I doubt its 90ohms either

The wireworld is OK but you'll easily make better sounding cable if you can be not so worried by impedance

Do you think I'd advise something that wouldn't work?
Or worse sound bad?
:) OK, good points.

I don't suppose you have any pics of your USB cable that would give me a better idea of how you make them?

I have some silver wire laying around to try, but I would need to get the cotton rope and ptfe tape.

I guess my main question is about the spiraling, how close are the wires to each other, and how many spirals per inch (or per cm for you).

Randy
sorry im usually quite good at taking photos but i have none

i meant to link this earlier but forgot
this is where i got the idea
http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/4515

method is good for interconnects too

but usb cable needs the shielding as it effects noise floor and clarity

i believe some of the better cables use silver plated copper maybe thats worth a try
i always liked pure silver for clarity/resolution if it ever brought brightness/harshness it was just highlighting issues elsewhere
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Once I finish modding my dac, I'm going to try to rearrange things for direct connection.

If that doesn't work out, I'll try your recipe. I've seen the vh recipe, seemed like a pain to make to me so I never tried it.
Another on the long list of projects :)

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jrling

Post by jrling »

Reminds me of [uber-expensive] XLO interconnect construction, DIY versions of which I made a long time ago with teflon tubing, PTFE (plumbing) tape and braided shielding.

I was wondering whether the XLO crossing over over the wires would be better than the spiralling in the diagram you show in the link? It is for AC analogue signal, I am sure, but I have no idea if it would benefit a digital signal running at very high frequency like USB 2.0?

Only one way to find out!
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:Reminds me of [uber-expensive] XLO interconnect construction, DIY versions of which I made a long time ago with teflon tubing, PTFE (plumbing) tape and braided shielding.

I was wondering whether the XLO crossing over over the wires would be better than the spiralling in the diagram you show in the link?
tried that too and it is good but spiralling is best
previously i also tried a 10mm teflon tube in the center of the xlo construction that improved it, it was that experiment which brought me to try spiralling as the wires seemed to like a bit of space from each other, in the spiral config for the most part there is 10mm in the 3d between each wire yet still is a sort of twisted config, i thought it was pretty smart
It is for AC analogue signal, I am sure, but I have no idea if it would benefit a digital signal running at very high frequency like USB 2.0?

Only one way to find out!
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

Well in that case - I will go with your recommendation.

Thanks as always

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub