DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by jkeny »

I was asked on the Audioasylum (correctly named, btw) forum to give instructions for this tweak to the Regen so I should also post it here.

This is not another PS to plug into the DC input of the Regen - it's a bypass of the 3.3V on-board regulator with a 3.3V LiFePo4 battery supply. I know the regulators are said to be SOA but a LiFePO4 battery easily beats them in this application. This battery tweak significantly improves the sonics from the already good sounding Regen & is easy & reversible modification.

So for anybody wishing to try it, you need to open up the Regen to connect a battery to the output from the 3.3V regulator & ground, thus bypassing the regulator. There is a ceramic capacitor C3 right at the output of that regulator - the reg at the top of the pic - REG33.

There's a copper via with a 5 beside it at top of that C3 capacitor - this is the GROUND point for connection. The other side of the capacitor is the connection to 3.3V positive (the one with two vias side-by-side). You need to attach the battery + & - poles to these points - soldering to these vias is best. It's very easy to reverse this if desired.

This only powers the USB hub chip & the clock which is all that's needed for audio devices that don't require the USB Vbus 5V power for the audio device. If your USB audio device does require the 5V supply you can do this using a modified USB adapter which has been modified to accept an external 5V PS - something like you see on the Aqvox site

BTW, I tried 2 of these LiFePO4 batteries to power the Regen through its DC input & this direct 3.3V power from one battery directly to the injection points on the Regens pcb, provides a far superior sound, so it's not just the batteries that make the difference but bypassing the REG33 which also matters.

Try it & post your reports

I am also reminded to warn people that they do this at their own risk & that they should use some common sense when doing this (although it's very simple). These batteries can put out a lot of power - treat them with respect - as you would a car battery - they are that powerful!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by nige2000 »

Yes cool stuff you can also do a 5 v pass though
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:Yes cool stuff you can also do a 5 v pass though
Thanks, Nige - yes, or inject a clean 5V into the output USB connector on the right of the pic

The pin at the bottom of this connector in the pic is the 5V pin - it is the one with the wide trace going to it from the REG5 (5v regulator)

You should connect the +5V from a PS to here & the PSes gnd to the battery ground or any other ground point on the board
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Some more pics to help John.

Post by jkeny »

Yea, thanks Pearse, I recognise that Regen pcb board :)

Just to make it absolutely clear where the 3.3V battery + & GND connect as it might be a bit confusing when looking at the wire colours on the underside of the board - the double vias are where the + connection goes (the striped wire seen in the pic) - the other via (where the solid colour is connected) is the GND connection.
www.Ciunas.biz
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I think after that idiotic comment from fmak that AA is dead to me.

If that is the best they can do that place is a complete waste of time.

AS that sage old saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished".

You came, you saw, and you never want to go back.

YET, more evidence TIR NA is the ONLY audio site worth one's time and I sincerely hope those numbskulls do not make their way here and if they do I hope the moderators remove them as soon as possible.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I agree, Rick, TirnaHiFi is the one sane forum I have found - most others have their fair share of idiots, numbskulls, zealots & people who just have personality disorders

Don't worry about the infiltration of this forum - there have been some attempts by individuals here before & they have either been shown the door or have found no kindred spirits here & left.

I'm sure we can remain vigilant
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

it never ceases to amaze me how rude people can be on these forums

think we go unnoticed here for the most part
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I think I could handle rudeness better than stupidity; willful stupidity at that. I wonder if they are proud of being stupid?

But when combined with rudeness; unbearable.

I am grateful for this oasis of individuals collaborating and the friendly competition within the projects/threads.

Like mid-60's rock and roll songwriters - admiring the competition while trying to one-up them at the same time ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks John for make so simple that even I understand and feel the challenge to do it! :)

Pearse, just curious what are you using between the Regen and Lampi? USB adapter, or cable?
And how long are your DC cables from 3.3 battery to the Regen?
Any pictures of the set-up?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS