DIY Regen Battery tweak

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rab

Re: DIY Regen Battery tweak

Post by rab »

Interesting. It seems he prefers the other devices, provided that they have a good linear supply, over the Intona.
Crom

Post by Crom »

nige2000 wrote:whats your digital chain these days?
Sorry Nig, missed your Q:

My digital chain is pretty much as it was 2 years ago...

- Roon ...OK, that's new ;-)
- I'm testing HQ Player at the moment ...and this ;-)
- 2 x Supermicro server boards running JPLAY (one of them is pretty stock and acts as control. The player board has had the clocks replaced - currently powered by lifepos. Memory power will be bypassed on player when I get a paul hynes delivery)
- Full DIY ATX linear power supplies to both boards (soon to be upgraded to Paul Hynes after almost 750 day wait...they're at the post office!!).
- Nigel USB card recipe also powered by lifepo
- Regen (battery powered)
- WaveIO (non-isolated I2S output, SPDIF de-activated) - about to be replaced by tweaked latest DIYINHK card
- Ian's FIFO re-clocker and isolator
- dual mono Bufallo IIISE
- Owen's NTD1 output stage (power supply soon to be upgraded to Paul Hynes)
sima66

Post by sima66 »

I bought JCAT Intona and JCAT femto usb card!
Plan is to power the usb card with 5v Paul HYnes PS => usb adapter => Intona =>usb cable => Diverter.

I also plan to ad a Regen powered with Jkenny mod between the Intona and Diverter:
Paul Hynes => USB card => usb adapter => Intona => usb adapter => Regen => usb cable => Diverter.

Diverter need 5v power and would that power be still "clean", after going true so many devices?

Any thought or advice's?
Am I missing something?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
tony

Post by tony »

You are probably a bit light on regens in that spec Adam:)

The xmos card really improves dynamics and separation, Pearse called over tonight and got some diagrams for installing the reclocker. It is reasonably simple but even that mod will take a bit of doing. Adam I assume the diverter is sonicweld. Can the Paul Hynes not power the Diverter also? I am sure Nigel will be along to advise on that. Have you actually got the PH supply or is it on order?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

tony wrote:You are probably a bit light on regens in that spec Adam:)

The xmos card really improves dynamics and separation, Pearse called over tonight and got some diagrams for installing the reclocker. It is reasonably simple but even that mod will take a bit of doing. Adam I assume the diverter is sonicweld. Can the Paul Hynes not power the Diverter also? I am sure Nigel will be along to advise on that. Have you actually got the PH supply or is it on order?
But the xmos need to be installed inside the DAC, right?!
Paul Hynes will be plugged into the JCAT usb card and thru the Intona, posibly Regen, power the Sonicweld Diverter!
All to be powered in one chain! How good will be that?

JCAT stuff should be here before new year and Paul Hynes PS in january-february (at list thats the promise)! :)
Till Paul Hynes arrive, I will use Teradak for that.
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

You should be OK i think with the Intona to the Divertor as long as the Divertor is not too power hungry....i seem to remember a similar discussion somewhere else on this but cannot remember the conclusion...maybe it was on JPlay forum!

The Intona 5v out can be a bit light for some hardware applications when using Mobo USB power but you may be OK as the Paul Hynes 5v in on the Jcat card will provide plenty of power into the Intona.

If you go with the battery powered JK Mod Regen then you will lose the 5v out so you will need to add the 5v back in on the USB link to the Divertor.
You could make something up or use something like the Elijah Audio Battery Powered Module and connect 5v from the Paul Hynes to it rather than the battery pack.
http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote:You should be OK i think with the Intona to the Divertor as long as the Divertor is not too power hungry....i seem to remember a similar discussion somewhere else on this but cannot remember the conclusion...maybe it was on JPlay forum!

The Intona 5v out can be a bit light for some hardware applications when using Mobo USB power but you may be OK as the Paul Hynes 5v in on the Jcat card will provide plenty of power into the Intona.

If you go with the battery powered JK Mod Regen then you will lose the 5v out so you will need to add the 5v back in on the USB link to the Divertor.
You could make something up or use something like the Elijah Audio Battery Powered Module and connect 5v from the Paul Hynes to it rather than the battery pack.
http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html
Thanks Paerse, that's the thing that I did not understand in the first page oft this tread, when Nigel mentioned the 5v!
I had no idea that, if powering Regen with JK mod, I'm loosing the 5v line into my Sonicweld! I assumed that the 5v will just pass true from usb card and Intona!
Sonicweld needs 360mA, so it's very "dietal", but the problem I get now is another source of 5v. I would have to split one rail now and get more multiple connections! :(
What will be the less painful way to do that?
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I never had any problems splitting connections off the Paul Hynes Adam so I would not expect any sound degradation.

Post by sima66 »

Sligolad wrote:I never had any problems splitting connections off the Paul Hynes Adam so I would not expect any sound degradation.
but, did you cut the end of the cable and use the wires only to the terminal block?
Actually did you got the Paul Hynes DC cables, or you made your own?
tony

Post by tony »

sima66 wrote:But the xmos need to be installed inside the DAC, right?!
JCAT stuff should be here before new year and Paul Hynes PS in january-february (at list thats the promise)! :)
Till Paul Hynes arrive, I will use Teradak for that.
Sorry Adam I forgot you are on spdif on the wadia, Maybe Nigel could come up with a plan to install a soekris dac board and usb card in that Dac:)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.