The DIYINHK USB to 12S card

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

The DIYINHK USB to 12S card

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, as usual for me after installing this it is not working.

Wondering which power input to use? I used the one near the USB jack. Should I have used the one at the other end where all of the inputs are?

Nigel had mentioned getting more than one. I was not sure what he meant by that but is this thing really fragile? No way I fed it more than 3.3 volts so I know I did not give it over or under voltage. Hoping it has something to do with the power input.

Advice needed, please.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Re: The DIYINHK USB to 12S card

Post by nige2000 »

needs +5v handshake
will work at 3.3v either

check is2 pinout labeling is confusing
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Did not know it had to see five volts.

What a pain!

Hope that is the problem.

Yes, I love how the labels are so nicely aligned with the pins. Very thoughtful of them.

Did you, too, find out the hard way that a handshake is required? Did AMANERO require this, also?

Is there a way to avoid the handshake?

Which power input did you choose?

I ask all of this in case the answers will be helpful to someone whose abilities mirror mine.

As always, thanks very much,
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Just realized there is no way I am going to get a five volts handshake to the DIYINUK since I am using a battery powered REGEN.

I guess I need to inject the five volts between the REGEN and the DIYINHK.

Just what I need, another power supply!

Will have to bypass REGEN for the time being.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, it is something more than a handshake.

Re-enabled USB and went straight into the DIYINHK card and no change.

Checked wiring again.

So does the five volts required by WAVE IO perform an "internal handshake"?

Guess I will return to WAVE IO.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:Well, it is something more than a handshake.

Re-enabled USB and went straight into the DIYINHK card and no change.

Checked wiring again.

So does the five volts required by WAVE IO perform an "internal handshake"?

Guess I will return to WAVE IO.

Think the waveio needs 5 v at some pin to function so won't function at 3.3v at all
The handshake 5 v could be linked into external 5v or switched off in programming

Turn the diyinhk board upsidedown put a momentary switch between the closest 3.3v pin and the +5 USB input

After PC has booted Press switch for about 3 secs and release to handshake
I can't see any reason why a bridge can't be put in instead of a switch if it never gets + 5 from usb
But if you did give 5v from USB with a bridge in your 5v rail will overload and PC will reboot
Dont bother asking how I know rhat
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Nigel,

I feel like Donnie in THE BIG LEBOWSKI - I must be "out of my element" with this board.

Did I connect my 3.3 volts power to the pins intended for 5 volts. For convenience I used the holes nearest the USB jack. Are those for 5 volts instead of 3.3? Which is the 5 volts input?

I thought all I had to do was connect power and the three I2S leads and it would work. So this is not how it works?

Sorry this is so difficult for me.

Went to the hifiduino site and there is a post about another version of this board. I think I have connected the 3.3 power to the wrong place. What I used is a place for 5 volts (I think). So I need to move from there to the main header.

SO, one way or another, one must have cable USB power for this to work?

With WAVE IO I just used 5 volts and had the USB power turned off on the motherboard. Not so happy about having to use the 5 volts from the computer. Seems like a tradeoff - we eliminate regs with the DIYINHK board but have to use five volts from the computer.

Well, time to go move those power leads.

AND thanks for the help
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Changed the power wiring and hooked it up to the battery backwards.

Oh, well ...
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:
Nigel had mentioned getting more than one. I was not sure what he meant by that but is this thing really fragile? No way I fed it more than 3.3 volts so I know I did not give it over or under voltage. Hoping it has something to do with the power input.
oh the irony

see here if its still alive

testing intona today various usb hub combos

all does something positive even on heavy modified pcs although we were using a std generic usb card which wouldnt help
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Saw smoke and the plastic on the XMOS has melt spots. No chance.

WOW,

I had no idea all of that was required!

This was way beyond me! Might still be! Hope you give us an explanation of what to do. If you will I will order another of those cards, otherwise I will return to the PC AUDIO DUMMY's card of choice, WAVE IO.

Went back to the turntable and have to say, yet, again, at least in my case, digital has so far to go, and with all that we have done it is getting harder to see what to do next, one has to wonder if there is any possibility of equity?

Of course, I will eventually get it running but to hear good tonal balance and perspective again is such a relief to my nervous system!