The DIYINHK USB to 12S card

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: The DIYINHK USB to 12S card

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:Needless to say the card was gone as soon as I touched the second lead to the battery.

Smoke was generated immediately along with my berating myself effusively. I had just looked at the battery and somehow, mindlessly, had turned it around.
I really worry for the Asian economies if Rick (and dare I say Nigel) hang up their soldering irons! I do however admire their chutzpah (from a distance). I would never dare.
selling to diy community is usually win win win :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

We do what we can to help justify moving some of this industry back to the West.

I like to think I can file these experiences under the heading of EDUCATION NEVER COMES CHEAPLY but when someone makes the same mistake more than twice one wonders what is being learned?

When I did Nigel's power mods for the SOEKRIS carefully and with no destruction this gave me more confidence than I needed and I thought I could do these things while not paying enough (any?) attention.

This proves success can be very dangerous to the following project! Speaking for myself, here

I just realized one should have the same state of mind while holding the soldering iron as one BETTER HAVE when riding a motorcycle.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:We do what we can to help justify moving some of this industry back to the West.

I like to think I can file these experiences under the heading of EDUCATION NEVER COMES CHEAPLY but when someone makes the same mistake more than twice one wonders what is being learned?

When I did Nigel's power mods for the SOEKRIS carefully and with no destruction this gave me more confidence than I needed and I thought I could do these things while not paying enough (any?) attention.

This proves success can be very dangerous to the following project! Speaking for myself, here

I just realized one should have the same state of mind while holding the soldering iron as one BETTER HAVE when riding a motorcycle.
couple of years ago i got lifepo4s from india that had + and - stickers on some of the cells the wrong way round
and after blowing a few devices i learnt to double check
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

One of these days I will remember to check things.

I am glad you came upon this ability at a far younger age than I.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone here looked at this? I just became aware of it.

One would have to come up with some kind of input for the SOEKRIS but the idea of simplicity is appealing, if it really is able to skip some steps.

With quieter motherboards due to battery power maybe this thing being in the box wouldn't be so bad.

Using a riser would make it easy to power separately.

http://www.pinkfaun.nl/portal/productaa ... i2s-bridge
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Hope these posts are not considered clutter but this thing might truly be the answer.

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa660.htm

Think of the reduction in space this would bring.

I had read the SD card player thread at diyAudio and thought it was interesting. I do not think htis device has anything to do with that product.

64 gB cards are about twenty dollars. Labeling of disks might be a bother; one would need quite a few. I would think htey would last a good while with mainly being read. I doubt I would write more than once to any of them.

I am really tempted by this thing.

Be sure to read his justifications for his choices. Sounds well reasoned and sensible.

I read that the build quality is very good.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Can't be any good there's no batteries in it ;)
Control board would be interesting to experiment with
I wouldn't expect much though
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I would think batteries could be used.

Other than the downside of the finite SD card life: one would still need to have an SSD or a HDD for primary music storage, I think this thing gets so much out of the way; even if this is not the ultimate expression of the idea, the idea just might be THE WAY.

Just think: getting rid of the CPU - I cannot believe you are so nonplussed! Couldn't be that hard to get the thing battery powered and then ...

There was something said at CA (i went there through a link, I do not normally read it) that someone from RESONNESCENSE (it is something like that, don't feel like looking it up) saying it was the best digital player he had heard. Who knows what that means but I know those folks make some fancy stuff.

I guess I am tired of all of the mess of the music computer. If I was getting quality that could compare with the turntable I would put up with it but it just takes up so much room.

This thing could be placed next to the SOEKRIS, of course, it would have to be with that I2S output being used.

I have a feeling (uh, oh, one of those) that it is every bit as good as what I am using at the moment with a possibility of being better.
motberg

Post by motberg »

I was looking for the CA recommendation mentioned, but came across this..
See post # 73
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... ndex3.html
Seems the user moved on from the player in favor of a USB bridge, but this could be due to the user preference in player software, (that I believe is not actually bit-perfect, but rather uses some SQ optimization code).

Also, I think the adjustments and options available with AO, JPlay etc. have some value.
I will check what the RJ45 i2S pin-outs are for the QA660... see if they are compatible with Audio-GD.. though I would prefer HDMI i2S..
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

motberg wrote:I was looking for the CA recommendation mentioned, but came across this..
See post # 73
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... ndex3.html
Seems the user moved on from the player in favor of a USB bridge, but this could be due to the user preference in player software, (that I believe is not actually bit-perfect, but rather uses some SQ optimization code).

Also, I think the adjustments and options available with AO, JPlay etc. have some value.
I will check what the RJ45 i2S pin-outs are for the QA660... see if they are compatible with Audio-GD.. though I would prefer HDMI i2S..
this one looks a small bit interesting

http://htpc.jp/hires/index.html

its rare to see good relative comparisons
motberg

Post by motberg »

Thanks for the similar machine info...

Here is the QA660 i2S RJ45 pin-out info -
this is from a detail photo of just that part of the back panel

1-DATA 2-GND
3-LRCK 4-GND
5-BCK 6-GND
7-MCLK 8-GND

Left side is #1
Right side is #8