SDTrans 384?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: SDTrans 384?

Post by nige2000 »

seeteeyou wrote:It's about 350 euros as mentioned below, who bunch of pictures were posted as well:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.p ... i2s-board/
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.p ... transport/
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.p ... -finished/

It's incredibly nice to hide everything inside that broken Denon DVD player while the LED panel was such a good fit right below the optical drive:

Three clocks could be upgraded as well:

22.579200 MHz
24.576000 MHz
25.000000 MHz (SATA)

Wicked cool stuff and the best part is burning 384/32 *.wav files on DVD-R since the blank media cost next to nothing these days. Maybe spend a bit more on that "ultimate" Pioneer BDR-S09J-X for the best drive in town? BTW what's the best PSU to feed 12V/2.2A & 5V/1.4A?

This one from China costs 3,000 RMB or roughly 460 bucks:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=526094437774
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=526099996260

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Being able to use a CD drive or a SDD would be an advantage when you want to hear something new quickly. I wonder how well the thing can control a CD drive? An SSD would seem to be simplicity in comparison.

I wonder how complicated it is to find what you want on a 500 gB SDD?

I would like to give this a try but think I will stick with the SD card player for the time being. I like the fact that an SD card is stupid. It will only do one thing - no messing around with the data once it is on the card. Biggest drawback is the slow copy speed but that might well be an advantage for audio.

Nigel - you have to get a SATA SD writer - just amazing what it does. You do not have any idea how much clean bass you are missing as a start.

Made a HASWELL version of the ripper OS - down to 31 mB including dBpoweramp - cpu core volts 0.144. No question HASWELL is vastly superior. Had first used IVY BRIDGE - cannot slow it down below 1600 mHz - unacceptable.

There is much to be got with a serious ripping setup.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sligolad wrote:Looks like it is getting near time to jump into this pond soon given all the excellent options and particularly after hearing Nige's SD card setup yesterday.

Nice to see the Gale 401s in there as well, brings back memories of Terrys restoration project which kept us going for a while.
actually my sd player /dac was a bit of a shambles yesterday since i broke the adjustable clock on the soekris, it was functioning of sorts
i am waiting for new fixed freq clocks (which are a bit like hens teeth in theses frequencies) which i will hopefully be able to integrate into the build
the way it is functioning atm would make an electrical engineer spontaneously combust at first glance
i probably shouldn't have brought it in its very nonoptimal state, but i knew a few guys were interested in hearing it and it still didn't sound bad as such and im not used to bringing nothing to these things:)
from previous experience an improved clk system like what im hoping to get working, will increase definition and resolution (which is something i think it lacked yesterday) hopes are very high for this sd player/soekris combo
i had some music files on the sd card that were of dubious origin that were floating around on the laptop and not from my storage drives so that hopefully why some individual tracks didn't sound so good
the dac also lost lock a couple of times and i have had a loose i2s wire when i got back so im hoping thats the issue
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

The fixed clock sounds like a good idea.

So does the SOEKRIS clock change frequency for different digital formats? Is that why he uses it?

I am a REDBOOK only guy so this would not pose a problem for me if the clock changes to suit the different formats. I only care about one.

AS if an EE's (or an assessen's) opinion could make you quake ...
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:The fixed clock sounds like a good idea.

So does the SOEKRIS clock change frequency for different digital formats? Is that why he uses it?

I am a REDBOOK only guy so this would not pose a problem for me if the clock changes to suit the different formats. I only care about one.

afaik it only switches between 45/49mhz
primarily 44khz myself too but id still like to have the ability to play everything
gstew

Post by gstew »

nige2000 wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:The fixed clock sounds like a good idea.

afaik it only switches between 45/49mhz
primarily 44khz myself too but id still like to have the ability to play everything
Same... but I'm not sure what it does for DSD Playback mode.

Greg in Mississippip
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I have no interest in DSD and doubt the SOEKRIS is the way. Those fellows on the NO DAC IS THE BEST DAC thread have the right idea for that.

I think I remember reading that the clock is multiplied by the FPGA somehow.

Who knows if it sounds any good, I think most of those who demanded this just wanted it to be able to do it. I do not think they were concerned with how well it did it. That is my curmudgeonly opinion.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I got my sdtrans last week.

Running it with the stock, cheap walwart it comes with.

Using wav files I already have, copied with a usb converter (Rick is trying not to get sick as he reads this) to a generic 32 g sd card.

It's been burning in since around Thursday. It it sounds great already. I don't know if it better than my pc in all things, but its definitely better in some things, and I don't have any urge to reconnect my PC to my dac.

Battery mods are on the horizon, but I need to rearrange my dac to make some space to do this.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

We all had to start with something!

Doesn't make me sick, well, not very sick.

I bet there will be a BIG difference when you get your five volts battery pack attached.

That had to be the most SHIITE wall wart I have ever seen. Mine was thrown in the trash after I used it to verify the thing would turn on. I think that is all it is there for.

Like saying you ran a pretty good race considering you cut off one of your feet just before the event ...

Take care,
gstew

Post by gstew »

rickmcinnis wrote: <SNIP>

That had to be the most SHIITE wall wart I have ever seen. Mine was thrown in the trash after I used it to verify the thing would turn on. I think that is all it is there for.

Like saying you ran a pretty good race considering you cut off one of your feet just before the event ...

<SNIP>
I still use the wall wart to put more burn-in time on it when it is not in the system... one good use (and I agree, about the only one!).

Greg in Mississippi