You wait for tweaks.....

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Ivor

You wait for tweaks.....

Post by Ivor »

Why not a thread for cheap and effective tweaks? Most of us are at the stage where you have to spend lots to gain just a little (broadly speaking) so something that costs little or nothing but gives results will be welcome...

I know many "tweaks" are odd, surreal or just plain daft but feel free to post and let others try them. As always, replies should be respectful or non-existent ;)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Re: You wait for tweaks.....

Post by Ivor »

and to start...

When up in Derek's the other night on a headphone fact finding mission I noticed he had his speakers on granite tiles and was reminded that it's something I've been meaning to do for ages.
My floors are old but firm floorboards and the speakers sit on Cereballs. I'm not really a fan of spikes.

After a short hunt I found Argos stocked granite "worktop savers" which fitted the bill. these are L40, W30, D1.3cm and have a nice bit of weight to them. Non slip feet and a well finished bevelled edge make them practical and even pretty. There are cheaper glass options out there but I suspect these would "sing" and add a thin-ness, I could be completely wrong on that but if there's doubt at all I walk away (this approach works well for women and cars too).
At €15.99 each I think they're cheap enough to count as a tweak and having bought and tried them I know they work!

It's an odd thing (perhaps) how something as simple and maybe obvious as a stable base would add something but the difference was immediate and clear. I'd like to think the sound was already quite good but with the granite tiles in place instruments and voice were better defined and had more space around them... this added to the clarity of the soundstage and imagery - by that I mean the 3D soundstage was more obvious. It was with hi-hat, cymbals, rim shots and various other percussion that there was obvious clarity. I wasn't hearing anything new but I was hearing it clearer. Bass seemed clearer and perhaps a little deeper. All in all it was €32 well spent!

I suspect these would make an excellent base for amps, turntables or CD players too... I may investigate further!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/part ... OPPING.htm

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Great start!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Great start!

I'm looking forward to crystals on top of speakers and green markers on CDs. I'd post those myself but I don't want to hog the thread. :)

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Nice bottle of red of your choice - about €15 should guarantee a decent improvement!
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:Nice bottle of red of your choice - about €15 should guarantee a decent improvement!

This is true... I have done extensive research on it.

Big Italian wines will produce more rounded deeper bass(but you may need to go > €20), a Bordeaux will bring out subtleties and detail while a young, but not too young, Pinot Noir accentuates the higher frequencies.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Those pinots are all about the micro dynamics and refinement. Stick to new world of you want a broader presentation with balls.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Post by Derek »

I'll stick to Whiskey, much more civilised presentation.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Called into argos earlier
Always meant to organise to get some granite cut for the speakers before
Nice improvement
Often spent more to get less
Cheers Ivor
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

"Often spent more to get less"
Good stuff! That was my reaction too.