wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jrling

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by jrling »

I should have asked if you had found that frames and periods settings to change after using PRIORITY set to 5?

Even though I think the answer will be no.
You are correct that the answer, in my case, was 'No'.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Just another little thing to make WTF the best digital turntable.

Thanks, frd.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Thanks Rick for convincing me to look at wtfcui. Once I was removing the automatic help screen I also spotted one nasty bug that would result in a crash of the application. It is now fixed. Cheers, F
gjwAudio

FEATURE -or- BUG ?

Post by gjwAudio »

Hi Frd

Thank you for automating the "play playlist from command line" feature in wtfplay 0.7.3.

I have noticed the status of single/looped playback is not carried forward in this operation. Is that by design ? Is it a simple matter to add this switch to the wtfplaylist script ?

Thanks for considering this change.

Cheers,
Grant
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

It is by design. I did not consider that the looping would be a requirement.

Anyway, here is a workaround:

Code: Select all

while true; do wtfplaylist; done
This will loop until you hit CTRL+C on the keyboard.

Cheers,
F
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Having found a site with free downloads of DSD files I have been surprised that DSD sounds better than it has in my past experiences with CD/DVD players. There is something about it I have had to admit. I think my DAC is known as one that works best with DSD so maybe that is what I am hearing.

I have one track that is 4.16 gB - last movement of Bruckner's ninth symphony. This is a DST256 track.

Needless to say it is not playable with my 4 gB memory but before i buy 8 gB of memory will THAT be enough or is the "memory must be twice the size of the selected file" rule hard and fast?

If so I will have to find a way to split the track. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks,
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi Rick,

The amount of RAM required to load a DSD track depends on your DAC capabilities and the player that you use (wtfplay vs wtfplay-dsd). So taking 4GB track as an example:

1. If you use wtfplay-dsd and your DAC supports native streaming with 32bit framing, then the track would occupy 4GB in RAM.

2. If your DAC uses DoP, then wtfplay would require to allocate 8GB of RAM for the same track. Note, that to play DSD256 in DoP mode, your DAC must support rate of 705.6kHz (768kHz).

Apart from memory requirements for the track itself you would need to leave some RAM for the operating system itself. Something like 200MB would be sufficient.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise any software that would split DSD into chunks. I guess this would not be much different from splitting WAV file. However, I am not sure if a special care is required when the splitting point does not hit a silence pattern. TBH, I am not an expert when it comes to DSD.

F
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, you are MUCH closer to possessing expertise than I ever will!

The track is DSD256 - I have a smaller track that plays very well - about half the size.

I am using the MATRIX DAC and it seems to be able to handle anything DSD.

1. If you use wtfplay-dsd and your DAC supports native streaming with 32bit framing, then the track would occupy 4GB in RAM.

I have no idea if the DAC does this - I am using wtfplay-dsd when i listen to DSD.

2. If your DAC uses DoP, then wtfplay would require to allocate 8GB of RAM for the same track. Note, that to play DSD256 in DoP mode, your DAC must support rate of 705.6kHz (768kHz).

I guess I need to find a 1999 mB track and see what happens with the 4 gB memory stick before adding that extra memory which goes against my digital aesthetic of simplicity and lowest possible power usage.

While I am going on - do you have any opinion as to which is better for WTFPLAY - two 4 gB sticks or one 8gB stick? I have an inkling you will say there is no difference at all.

Funny thing is - the folks at AUDIO SCIENCE REVIEW which can be amusing and even useful at times said they thought the MATRIX preferred DSD files - but I have found 24/96 to sound the best in my situation. Could be they are different/better mixes, I have no idea, but I have had to resign myself that there is something to these massive files.

I hear no extraneous fog/noise with them at all. When I tried them years ago there was an audible increase is garbage mixed in with the music. With thanks to MATRIX and FRD!
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

wtfplay-live 0.7.4 is now available for download. The details can be found here:
http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html
Enjoy,
F
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

frd1996 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:46 pm wtfplay-live 0.7.4 is now available for download. The details can be found here:
http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html
Enjoy,
F
I've been running this the last day or two - working flawlessly here on a fairly basic laptop. The shift+F is very handy........
Do or do not, there is no try