wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
frd1996

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by frd1996 »

wtfplay-live 0.7.3 is now available for download. The details can be found here:
http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html
Enjoy,
F
tony

Post by tony »

Working away fine here. Switched back in my Lampizator dac as the group buy needs a minor service and this latest version(s) are excellent. Detail and warmth with the LZ is a joy. Many thanks to Fryderck and Jonathon for coming up with P=5 :)
Coupled with the DA88's power into the Quads I think I am getting the nicest sounds I have ever got or maybe lock down has made me soft in the head!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jrling

Post by jrling »

In that case, I have gone soft in the head too!
It is another useful step forward in SQ, as you say.

Fryderck has modestly hidden his light under a bushel and has made one or two changes to the code and to an invisible boot parameter in 0.7.3 that have brought good gains.

Difficult to believe that plain old Red Book 16/44.1 can sound so good.

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

I would like let you know that I am planing to remove HFS+ file system support in
the next release of wtfplay-live.

HFS+ is the old filesystem for OSX. It has been replaced by Core Storage
(Fusion Drive) in OSX Lion (2011). Core Storage has in turn been replaced by
APFS introduced in OSX High Sierra (2017).

Are there anyone who is running wtfplay-live on a 10+ years old Apple hardware
and be potentially affected this change?

Here is how to check whether HFS+ is used. Run wtfplay-live and type mnt command.
Any storage with HFS+ will have hfsplus in the FS column.

F
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Fryderck,

I'm a latecomer to wtfplay - I downloaded it and have been running it here for the last few hours. I just wanted to say it really is a clear step above daphile in terms of SQ.

Impressive work for sure.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Good to hear that Fran.
Cheers,
F
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

frd,

It is another step closer - though it is as subtle as you promised.

Using the playlist function makes one wonder if there is a way to disable the HELP screen since it adds another keystroke when using playlist and for long time users is well beyond superfluous? Hoping this might be simple.

Jonathan,

Since you are responsible for finding the magic FIVE I am wondering if you would reveal what you are using for the other settings in your system? I am using two periods and 512 frames but I have not tried other settings since setting priority to 5. If you are using something greatly different I will have to try other values.

Has anyone noticed a "need" to use different period and frames settings when playing high resolution files? I have very few of them so I have not done any serious trials. It would seem these would require a higher setting of one, the other, or both.

One has to assume we tend to grow accustomed to what we use. Of course, familiarity can also breed contempt as we have heard a few times.I would think there is every bit as much WINDOWS sound as there is LINUX sound - and luckily we can choose between the two.

For the life of me, conceptually, I cannot see how a massive bloated thing like WINDOWS could begin to compete with the elegant svelte WTF. But there is no question this is my bias. Using WINDOWS for a music player is like using a BUGATTI Veyron for any task. The Veyron is my benchmark for utter uselessness. Ugly pretentious overweight- I am a capitalist but I can see that being the poster thing for wretched absurd excess.

I bet Chairman Mao would have bought ten of them.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jrling

Post by jrling »

I am using -f 2048 -n 3 -p 5 which is the current wtfsetup default.

As it says in Wtfplay Manual Paragraph 4 -
Why tweak the audio buffer, you may ask? Are the values not universal? Unfortunately, the answer is no. A particular hardware configuration may simply not support certain values. Furthermore, during initial listening tests, we discovered that the same buffer settings impact sound quality differently on different hardware.

The values really depends on your hardware and, more importantly, on your taste, so discover yourself what values are the best for you. We strongly encourage you to do so as the reward can be worth the effort.

Using the command line wtfcui -f xxxx -n x -p x makes it very quick to change settings temporarily for testing and then save the chosen settings in wtfsetup for future default use.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I see that I should have worded my request differently.

I should have asked if you had found that frames and periods settings to change after using PRIORITY set to 5?

Even though I think the answer will be no.

One wishes one could know what it is within different systems that makes these settings unique in each circumstance?

frd, any chance of being able to forego the help screen when returning to wtfcui after wtfplaylist? One knows we have entered an age of supreme laziness wen ONE KEYSTROKE seems like such a burden but if you saw where my screen and keyboard are stuffed you would understand.

Take care,
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi Rick,

Sure, I think I can disable the automatic help screen.

F