wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
frd1996

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by frd1996 »

A new release is out. Please check out: http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html
Big thanks to all involved in testing.
F
jrling

Post by jrling »

Fryderyk has again managed a sound quality improvement to wtfplay. On my gear, with 0.7.5 there is a noticeable and pleasing SQ bump up in many respects.

More detail right across the board. Notable were instruments coming out of a black background, clear & delineated bass and vocals beautifully centred, detailed and vibrant. Electric guitar solos, like from Jimi Hendrix and Mark Knoffler, had an extra dynamism and more detail in the variation of the notes depending on how they were plucked.

Certainly the best reproduction that I have had to date. Highly recommended to give a try.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
tony

Post by tony »

jrling wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:43 am Fryderyk has again managed a sound quality improvement to wtfplay. On my gear, with 0.7.5 there is a noticeable and pleasing SQ bump up in many respects.

More detail right across the board. Notable were instruments coming out of a black background, clear & delineated bass and vocals beautifully centred, detailed and vibrant. Electric guitar solos, like from Jimi Hendrix and Mark Knoffler, had an extra dynamism and more detail in the variation of the notes depending on how they were plucked.

Certainly the best reproduction that I have had to date. Highly recommended to give a try.
Inclined to agree strongly here I wouldn't change a word of your view except maybe the tracks :)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jrling

Post by jrling »

Good to hear that you agree, Tony. It is amazing what more Fryderyk can coax out of wtfplay.

If you have heard Jimi perform live, which I did, then you would never find anything to compare!
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Running the new version as I type, smooth as butter! Thanks Fryderyk!!
Do or do not, there is no try
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

I've listened music through wtfplay in recent months and I think it's a gem.
I had some prejudice against linux system in audio, not for direct extensive personal experience to be honest.
wtfplay was so easy to test, just a usb stick to boot, so I took a look at it.

I started using jrling suggested setup, -f 4096 -n 2 -p 5, cause I use a AsRock J1900-ITX.

The improvement was immediately clear.

I noticed a very low noise floor, the sound was full rich with tight low end and great transparency. Everything was at the right place and time, midrange (voices in particular) was credible.
I perceived as a higher output level at the same preamp volume (a sign of improved quality in my experience), so I checked with scope a test sine 1kHz wave on foobar (win) and wtfplay and Vpp was exactly the same at dac output.
Very good recordings are outstanding, redbook as well.

It's impossible to go back now. Sometime I boot in Win to search the library metadata with foobar and then reboot in wtfplay to play.

Sure, I feel the lack of elementary info (i.e. elapsed and/or remaining time), access to metadata and library search, but I agree with the minimalist approach. Just the playing window could be smaller, in order to see the playlist.

I agree with previous comments about 0.7.5 better than 0.7.4.
0.7.5 K43 seems to be more detailed, more defined, more refined, cleaner.

My current setting after some testing: -f 1024 -n 2 -p 5

Thank you, Fryderyk.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

m.massimo,

I am using one of the variants of the same board you are using.

I am also using those same parameters at the moment. I had though 512/3/5 was my favorite but that one has stayed around/

At the risk of being repetitive and from unchecked curiosity I am wondering if you have tried the following:

Using the Core2 version of WTF with these boards - I hear a phasey sound in 1 to 3kHz region with I7

Use ECOMODE in the BIOS

Turning off all SATA ports (and all others except USB) and using only the USB ports

If you have tried these I would like to know your perception of them.

I wrote on DIYAUDIO that this new version reminds me of the sound I heard when using progressively better bearings in my LENCO turntable which makes me think this version is more stable. I have no idea how to properly assess that but it is a similar effect on the sound quality.

Should be embarrassed to admit but the turntable is not being used - waiting for the great Rod Coleman to come up with his phono stage - the embarrassing part is I do not miss the turntable at all.

I have many LPs I cannot get digitally so having a turntable is important but this player is every bit as good. As always, each format has its strengths but the score is starting to become lopsided.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Hi,

Just to let you now, the release 0.8 is out and can be found in the usual location: http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html

Enjoy,
F
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thanks Fryderyk

i'll install that tonight. We must meet up sometime.

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Working perfectly here via a Chinese amanero clone. Core i7 version.

What did you change Fryderyk?