wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:...
Aleg: Suggest getting a USB key and try it and report back. I can see you considering getting a local disk to get around the network issue. ....

Hi Tony

Appreciate your suggestion, but a USB stick or local disc doesn't work with the extensive storage I have for my music collection. I won't dazzle you with numbers, but USB sticks or local drives don't come big enough to make even a dent in the collection.
I have an enterprise level server and storage system with all required management in place, this is where I manage my music collection and where it is safe.
I'm not going to mess about with small storage given what I have in place.

I would also expect it to have a headless setup at some point in time.
If it lacks wider usability it won't make it in the end.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

I tried it, sounded detailed, but unnatural and tiring to listen to. Was hoping for better. Maybe it's the linux/alsa house sound.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

id very much doubt youll be the only one looking for network access
Why not try it for now
And if you think theres potential put in a request for network
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:id very much doubt youll be the only one looking for network access
Why not try it for now
I already did :-)
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:id very much doubt youll be the only one looking for network access
Why not try it for now
So thats an official request for network?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Why not try it for now
Diyaudio already have a guy requesting same! Aleg thanks for the explanation sounds like you are prepared for nuclear meltdown!
USB was just to trial it but see you have already.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

sbgk wrote:I tried it, sounded detailed, but unnatural and tiring to listen to. Was hoping for better. Maybe it's the linux/alsa house sound.
Try version 9 Gordon. Initial testing of it in the early stages concurred with your take but no not now. This is the dogs bxllxxs!
Maybe on a laptop you are getting the detail but not the body/soundstage but we have had a good period of testing on this and it is really
top notch. I hesitate to call it the best but certainly has won me over and if you look at all my posts over the years warmth in the sound is really important to me.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:
Why not try it for now
Yes, an official request for network support.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:... Aleg thanks for the explanation sounds like you are prepared for nuclear meltdown!
USB was just to trial it but see you have already.
Not yet nuclear meltdown, but Enterprise level storage systems have inbuilt redundancy (RAID) and also auto-repair mechanisms in case of data damage.
It's just the backup that needs be kept of site, but the storage system is safe against hardware failure and is auto-repair.
It runs 24/7 for years now, only needed to replace a disk once.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I've got RAID server (2+2TB) as my backup, but I play music of the 1T SSD, sitting in Audio PC (no network at all). My Library isn't that huge, but once I pass current capacity, I will just buy bigger drives. Every album is stored in 3 different places, I didn't mentioned my LapTop too...lol.
BTW, WtfPlay brings joy to my ears, all I can say so far!!!
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1