The best USB cable is no USB cable.........

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Sloop John B

The best USB cable is no USB cable.........

Post by Sloop John B »

............ but what do you call the little gizmos that replace the cable and where can one buy them (and the classic audiophool question - are there differences?)

I hope I'm making sense, bit of a Noddy question I know...

SJB
rickmcinnis

Re: The best USB cable is no USB cable.........

Post by rickmcinnis »

Well, I would agree.

There is no place for USB in a serious audio device.

It is handy, though. Useless for audio.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm looking for the name of the little gadget that will connect a USB source to a USB DAC that isn't an actual cable, a connector but googling that gets me nowhere.

SJB
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Ken Moreland wrote:Something like this perhaps? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-USB-Type- ... SwcdBWSaU8
That's the one, am I right in thinking that something like this would be preferable to a USB cable?

Are there any variations that allow for slight differences in height between source and DAC?

Anyone out there using these?

Any better or worse specimens from the sound quality perspective?

SJB
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sloop John B wrote:
Ken Moreland wrote:Something like this perhaps? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-USB-Type- ... SwcdBWSaU8
That's the one, am I right in thinking that something like this would be preferable to a USB cable?

Are there any variations that allow for slight differences in height between source and DAC?

SJB
really its a can of worms
adapters are better than most/all cheaper cables

whats the budget?
diy?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

nige2000 wrote:
Sloop John B wrote:

SJB
really its a can of worms
adapters are better than most/all cheaper cables

whats the budget?
diy?

My ability at DIY is putting staples in a stapler, so we can safely rule that one out.

Budget? well the plan is.......

Hugo TT wending it's way to chez Sloop as we speak.
Current source is Roon through an SBT so this connection will have to be a cable.
If promise (or hype) lives up to expectation I'm considering a mucroRendu as the Roon source, this should allow adapter use rather than cable.
I'd probably spend E100 on a decent cable so I suppose it would make sense to have the same budget for an adapter (even though it sounds barmy to spend that much on such a thing).

Just doing a bit of forward planning, I know John Kenny mentioned the desirability of small or no cable for USB when I was demoing his USB/SPDIF converter.

SJB
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

It always amazes me that a connector costing 3€ and of dubious construction could equal or better a magnificently priced cable but there you go. I've never heard of any kind of Audiophile connector made from silver etc .

Interested to see you are awaiting a Hugo TT as I purchased one last week and it's a fine machine. For me it was able to eliminate the need for preamp (sold) and allow balanced connections to the power amp. I traded in my Hugo with Jim Moore HiFi in Newtownards. At the moment I'm listening through headphones but I expect to have speakers on Saturday! I'm using the adapter I linked to hook up Regen to Hugo TT.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:It always amazes me that a connector costing 3€ and of dubious construction could equal or better a magnificently priced cable but there you go. I've never heard of any kind of Audiophile connector made from silver etc .

Interested to see you are awaiting a Hugo TT as I purchased one last week and it's a fine machine. For me it was able to eliminate the need for preamp (sold) and allow balanced connections to the power amp. I traded in my Hugo with Jim Moore HiFi in Newtownards. At the moment I'm listening through headphones but I expect to have speakers on Saturday! I'm using the adapter I linked to hook up Regen to Hugo TT.
ill be down to hear the new gear when your settled
whats the OYAIDE like?
is it a white black or green?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:ill be down to hear the new gear when your settled
whats the OYAIDE like?
is it a white black or green?
What's this??? What happened here was Ken in Japan this week? Is there a new paradigm in USB cables??
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.