It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 22

jkeny

Re: It didn't explode....... YET (aka niges amp)

Post by jkeny »

BTW, I visited Nige's abode recently with a DIYAudio forum member (Abraxalito) in tow & we were both very impressed with the sound of the amp - fast, articulate & resolving. I wouldn't think that there is any sonic need to make a change
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

abraxalito is one of the most interesting fellows at DIYAudio.

Always has something interesting to say and usually a different way of seeing things.

I am jealous; would enjoy knowing him.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

rickmcinnis wrote:abraxalito is one of the most interesting fellows at DIYAudio.

Always has something interesting to say and usually a different way of seeing things.

I am jealous; would enjoy knowing him.
Yea, he's one of the few good ones left - an electrical engineer but not closed minded - which is refreshing.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

If i am not prying too far:

Does this mean he is another great Irish audiophile in the tradition of the mainstays at TIR NA? If so, I am not surprised.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

rickmcinnis wrote:If i am not prying too far:

Does this mean he is another great Irish audiophile in the tradition of the mainstays at TIR NA? If so, I am not surprised.
No, he's from the UK & was visiting his mother in Exeter & nipped across the sea to pay a visit.
He has been living in China for the last 11 years, I believe? But he is more aligned in his thinking with the "crazies" on TnaHF than the "dullards" on DIYA
Last edited by jkeny on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Then we should hope that he decides to share his views with us here. I would have never confused him with the self-proclaimed ENGINEERS at DIYaudio. His comments are of a thoughtful man who knows the current wisdom but is not enslaved by it.

I know his "moniker" says something about living in some city that Marco Polo visited but one never knows whether those things are serious or fanciful.

At least Exeter is going in the right direction (away from London) ...

Take care,
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

John sent me a link over to this thread, said I had an admirer here so as an incorrigibly attention-seeking guy I couldn't resist signing up.

Nige thanks for your hospitality and for taking the time to demo your kit, a most educational evening!

I just got back to Hangzhou yesterday morning - it is indeed a city that Marco Polo praised all those years ago. It just this summer received a major face-lift due to the G20 which was held a few days ago here.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

abraxalito wrote:John sent me a link over to this thread, said I had an admirer here so as an incorrigibly attention-seeking guy I couldn't resist signing up

Nige thanks for your hospitality and for taking the time to demo your kit, a most educational evening!

I just got back to Hangzhou yesterday morning - it is indeed a city that Marco Polo praised all those years ago. It just this summer received a major face-lift due to the G20 which was held a few days ago here.
more than one admirer here, when john told me you were coming over,
i must have read the text message three times and replied i'll sort my day to make the visit work
was a great day

one thing i went to briefly investigate that hum we had the other day at times and i couldn't seem to repeat it, was the first time i heard hum with the amp

i think you mentioned something about chokes in regards toroids?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

a few asked for a visit to hear the amp back a couple months
i still have the gear setup from abraxilito and jkeny's visit
so if anyone wants to hear it or bring their gear for comparison if we can do it within the next couple of wks

say either mon 19 /tues 20 /fri 23/ sat 24/mon 26/tues 27/fri 30 sept or 1st oct
can do evenings from 7 pm or sat from noon til 6

if your interested let me know what dates dont suit as that will be easier
then ill set the date
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote: more than one admirer here, when john told me you were coming over,
i must have read the text message three times and replied i'll sort my day to make the visit work
was a great day
Thanks for the warm welcome!
one thing i went to briefly investigate that hum we had the other day at times and i couldn't seem to repeat it, was the first time i heard hum with the amp

i think you mentioned something about chokes in regards toroids?
Didn't we have the hum when my trafos were in but weren't being used for isolation (input and output 0Vs were commoned)? It went away when we broke that ground loop I seem to recall, but you were doing the fixing so do please correct me if my memory has failed me. Or did it hum before the trafos were introduced?

Hum issues can be fixed up in various ways, common-mode chokes can help but I find the off-the-shelf ones nowhere near as good as winding them yourself. You might also find that the precise point of connecting the input 0Vs to the power supply is crucial.