Music computer advice please

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rebone

Re: Music computer advice please

Post by rebone »

[quote="Sligolad"]
Reduce all clock frequencies on your PC.

Hi all, my first post here, you have a good and friendly forum going here.
I have been building a few (intel) computers but newer done over/under clocking.
As far as I understand, the best is to run cpu and ram at a fixed speed, ex.800Mhz.
AFAIK you need a z-rated chipset and a k-rated cpu to be able to do this.
Is this correct or do you have any other ways to run the pc at a fixed frequenzy.
Thanks
Ted
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

only z chipsets can over clock
fixing frequency and underclocking can be done on most chipsets
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Ted,

watch carefully if the actual bios of the mainboard allows changing the cpu clock/multiplier. For example AsRock has changed that and cancelled that possibility with last revisions allthough the manual still reports it is possible. A pity if you buy such a mainboard which is working within someone's setup fine with the older revision...

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
rebone

Post by rebone »

Hi again, thanks for your replies.
I have an Asus H87 mobo with i5-3570 and an Asus Z97 mobo with low power i5-4690S.
Both of these have multiplier locked on auto.
I had a look at Gigabyte h97md3h. This one looks like it will do cpu multiplier and frequency.
I thought multiplier multiplied the base frequency, so why the two?
Will it still do this on any non-K , S or T type cpu?
Pehhaps the availability of these setting for non-K cpu's are dependent on the mobo manufacturer?
I am looking to build a new music pc where I can set fixed cpu and ram frequency and ram latency.
Perhaps the Gigabyte h97md3h is one you could recommend?
Would these settings still be available for my 15-4690S ?
Any idea whether the more simple H97 chipset is better for SQ than Z97?
Also I kind of like the mini-itx size, is the any SQ preference for m-atx over mini-itx (GA-H97N/Z97N).
Lots of questions here, hope you don't mind.
Thanks
Ted
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rebone wrote:Hi again, thanks for your replies.
I have an Asus H87 mobo with i5-3570 and an Asus Z97 mobo with low power i5-4690S.
Both of these have multiplier locked on auto.
I had a look at Gigabyte h97md3h. This one looks like it will do cpu multiplier and frequency.
I thought multiplier multiplied the base frequency, so why the two?
Will it still do this on any non-K , S or T type cpu?
Pehhaps the availability of these setting for non-K cpu's are dependent on the mobo manufacturer?
I am looking to build a new music pc where I can set fixed cpu and ram frequency and ram latency.
Perhaps the Gigabyte h97md3h is one you could recommend?
Would these settings still be available for my 15-4690S ?
Any idea whether the more simple H97 chipset is better for SQ than Z97?
Also I kind of like the mini-itx size, is the any SQ preference for m-atx over mini-itx (GA-H97N/Z97N).
Lots of questions here, hope you don't mind.
Thanks
Ted
id be very surprised if asus h87 and z97 have their multipliers locked
sometimes its not a very obvious method of entering the values where you click on Auto and then type in the values!!

m-itx is a bit clustered for emi
z97 has more features more ports and more noise
neither are remotely near the biggest issues

further info
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2832
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rebone

Post by rebone »

Thanks Nigel, all hidden in plain sight..click auto, type in values; worked.
My latest atempt at audio pc is asus (n3150i) 6w onboard pentium cpu.
Bios is very simple with no clock settings at all. M-itx z97 is now remote control/general pc.
With you ending up with h97md3h after some mobo fries, I guess it's a good recommandation.
May I ask which ram you use with this?

I have read all your impressive findings with lifepo4 atx power. (and amplifier).
As I like to play with electronics, I am working on a discrete low noise, high pssr lpsu with some separate trafos and sepatarate regulators for all inputs, including fan, ssd, usb card.
May not be as good as your battery approach, maybe I'll try that at a later date.
Thanks
Ted
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rebone wrote:Thanks Nigel, all hidden in plain sight..click auto, type in values; worked.
cool
As I like to play with electronics, I am working on a discrete low noise, high pssr lpsu with some separate trafos and sepatarate regulators for all inputs, including fan, ssd, usb card.
May not be as good as your battery approach, maybe I'll try that at a later date.
Thanks
Ted
yea did a bit of linear stuff myself at the start, way to do it is a oversized traffo for every reg for every device, and as much capacitance as you dare.......
you wont need a fan?
dont bother plugging it in if theres plenty of ventilation

lifepo4s kinda like cheating :)
rebone

Post by rebone »

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
According to the h97md3h manual it will only take 1.5 v memory.
I have some Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1.35v memory. do you know if the h97md3h will take these?
The Z97 additional noise make sense.
Having buildt some home brew amplifiers in the past and coming from an analog audio point of wiew: the shorther the signal trace, the better. I don't know to much about computer electronics physics so my thinking was that the shorter traces on mitx would be better. I guess that with the higher frequencies, the emi is a bigger issue.
and as much capacitance as you dare.......
you wont need a fan?
I have on the drawing board a power supply that hopefully is quick and defensive enough not to need much capacitance at all. I'll have to get a couple of lifepo's as a reference when I try this.
The fan would only be a very slow running cpu fan to make some circulation in the case.
Thanks for a lot of interesting reads.
Ted
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rebone wrote:Hi again, and thanks for your reply.
According to the h97md3h manual it will only take 1.5 v memory.
I have some Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1.35v memory. do you know if the h97md3h will take these?
pretty sure i used low v kingston 1.3v with that board
The Z97 additional noise make sense.
Having buildt some home brew amplifiers in the past and coming from an analog audio point of wiew: the shorther the signal trace, the better. I don't know to much about computer electronics physics so my thinking was that the shorter traces on mitx would be better. I guess that with the higher frequencies, the emi is a bigger issue.
and as much capacitance as you dare.......
you wont need a fan?
I have on the drawing board a power supply that hopefully is quick and defensive enough not to need much capacitance at all. I'll have to get a couple of lifepo's as a reference when I try this.
yes lifepo4 is a great reference yardstick
The fan would only be a very slow running cpu fan to make some circulation in the case.
Thanks for a lot of interesting reads.
Ted
yea but if cpu is at 800mhz it wont go over 50 degrees c without a fan on the heatsink why would u turn the fan on

let us know how u get on
post some pics etc