What's a good PCIe soundcard ?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
james

Re: What's a good PCIe soundcard ?

Post by james »

Thanks for all the help ...

I moved my M-Audio audiophile-2496 to the new box and got it working under Win-7 quite quickly. Centos was a pain. I was dealing with ASLA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page but eventually got it working (The problem was a) getting the new soundcard set as the default and b) getting the soundcard to start at non-zero volume).

I installed my Hauppauge satellite card and it works .. but I found a Terratec card online that is cheaper and looks better value. But I only look at TV on the computer when I am doing a long complicated job like backup.

I have done nothing about RAID and probably wont open the box again for a while .. but the idea of adding a second disk and having better security/stability appeals. [But I also have external backups .. yes I am paranoid .. You can never have enough backups]. I know that RAID wont protect me from virus/ransomware etc. Also I have seen things where the [hardware] RAID controller failed and destroyed all the disks.

If anyone wants info on how to install a soundcard on Centos-6 just ask and I will post.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
pink

Post by pink »

alsa is bit archaic but it works,
i case someone have problem with sound on linux i recommend trying pulseaudio which is more up to date approach

ps. centos is more less server distro (based on redhat) i won`t recommend it for multimedia even slackware have more recent versions of packages/kernel (3.10 in centos) i am not surprised you had problems.
graphic configuration do not help when you have to dig into .conf files anyway.
james

Post by james »

pink wrote:alsa is bit archaic but it works,
i case someone have problem with sound on linux i recommend trying pulseaudio which is more up to date approach

ps. centos is more less server distro (based on redhat) i won`t recommend it for multimedia even slackware have more recent versions of packages/kernel (3.10 in centos) i am not surprised you had problems.
graphic configuration do not help when you have to dig into .conf files anyway.
Hi Pink,

I am not using the PC as a media-server. I just want to be able to play the odd CD or DVD but I might as well
have decent sound. I choose Centos-6 because I am used to RedHat and Centos-6 will be maintained for a few
more years. I found Fedora a pain with too many updates .. I mainly use the Linux boot to do maintenance on
the Win-7 system e.g. for making disk images (with partimage) and for looking for duplicate files (with fdupes).

James
pink

Post by pink »

very strange approach towards linux (but very common in ROI, home of apple) not my problem anyway.

ps. i suggest live cd for backups, fedora is pain that`s true.

have you tried debian or arch??? i run slackware currently.
james

Post by james »

pink wrote:very strange approach towards linux (but very common in ROI, home of apple) not my problem anyway.

ps. i suggest live cd for backups, fedora is pain that`s true.

have you tried debian or arch??? i run slackware currently.
I just use Centos because it is convenient. Came to it from Fedora. It's stable and does all
I want. Tried Ubuntu once but did not like it. I want a minimal desktop since I do most things
from the command line (Learnt computing the hard way and started with cards).
panda2rom

Post by panda2rom »

I fear i've arrived after the battle, but anyway...

If you want to avoid the "audiophile" cards from Asus / Soundblaster... one should look into the cards used by DJs / Musicians / Sono.
It's mostly USB, and you'll get much better value for money there.
Plus, eventually, some real neat options (built in active crossover for example, EQ,). Stuff from Behringer, M-Audio, etc...
james

Post by james »

panda2rom wrote:I fear i've arrived after the battle, but anyway...

If you want to avoid the "audiophile" cards from Asus / Soundblaster... one should look into the cards used by DJs / Musicians / Sono.
It's mostly USB, and you'll get much better value for money there.
Plus, eventually, some real neat options (built in active crossover for example, EQ,). Stuff from Behringer, M-Audio, etc...

Hi

I ended up using my old M-audio audiophile 2496 card. I got it to work with Win-7 and Centos-6.

James