What's a good PCIe soundcard ?

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
james

Re: What's a good PCIe soundcard ?

Post by james »

I contacted Dell but they were not very helpful. Basically they do not support non-Dell modifications to the computer (e.g. adding a card not bought from them).

I have decided to buy a new Satellite card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TCHX9Y/?tag= and use my old PCI M-audio card. (As I said I can move across one of my PCI cards to the new machine but not both).

Thanks again for all the help and advice Nigel.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

james wrote:I contacted Dell but they were not very helpful. Basically they do not support non-Dell modifications to the computer (e.g. adding a card not bought from them).

I have decided to buy a new Satellite card https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TCHX9Y/?tag= and use my old PCI M-audio card. (As I said I can move across one of my PCI cards to the new machine but not both).

Thanks again for all the help and advice Nigel.

James
dell helpdesk lol
id be very surprised if the dell helpdesk knew how to advise, end of day its all about warranty
they don't want you opening the pc incase you break it and require warranty

i could have said to you to find a gnd wire a 5v and a 12v and wire them into a molex plug and you would be good to go, because thats all it would be if it were stock
as you bought a pc from dell i guessed you're not into pc building and as it would void warranty you would see it as not the way to go
from the dell pics i see its fairly proprietary, it wouldnt play nice or easily with some off shelf components
pcs build from off the shelf parts have far more flexibility and you can choose the quality of each component and mid range pcs can be built at modest cost
out of curiousity what did the dell cost?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
james

Post by james »

I got more or less the basic machine but with a few changes .. upgraded to Xeon processor
and added memory to bring it to 16G. No screen, graphics card or optical drives. 500G harddrive.
Only software is win-7-pro. 5-years maintenance. Euro 1044 (including vat and delivery)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

unless video rendering or gaming cant see much use high end cpu would be
an ssd would be of fantastic benefit to speed as is the ram 16gb is plenty
id happily save the cash go with an i3 6100 (140e) and have an ssd and 16 gb ram and not feel im missing out
the i7 6700k is 400e just mega bucks
win 7 could be got for 80-107 e
dont know what value to put on dell warranty
probably like most warranty and insurance always hastle when/if u need it

anyway enough yabbering off on tangents
best of luck with it im sure it will serve you long time
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
james

Post by james »

I bought it as a 'buy and forget' purchase. Agree it is way over specified but hope to get 10-years out of it and it
may not seem over-specified in 10-years time. Did not consider SSD drive since I want a 2T drive and they are still
too dear in SSD format. May replace my harddrive with a SSD in a few years. Haven't decided yet whether to add
a second harddrive or try RAID.

By the way .. what website had your shopping list ?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well the way to do it is to have a 250 odd gb ssd and a 2tb harddrive
put the os on ssd and the home folder on the hard drive

best of both so to speak

well that was komplett.ie likely not the most competitive but would give a good euro estimate
when ordering so many parts delivery charges get diluted so brings many uk suppliers into the equasion
james

Post by james »

Thanks for that .. I have bought from komplett in the past.

I wont' try a SSD drive at the moment since I am not sure if I want to have two different drives
in the computer. I may add a second identical drive and setup RAID. Or, in the longer term I may
wait until I can afford a 2T SSD drive (I am sure they will get even cheaper).

I have a complicated partitioning system because of dual boot so I don't want to change things
at the moment.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

james

Post by james »

Thanks
pink

Post by pink »

there is no benefit from ssd drive unless it is system drive you do not need sdd for storing large files (audio, video), you should setup yor PC on sdd and then add 2TB as a second hdd for storing such files.

RAID on home pc ????? (you must be paranoid) no offense ;-)