TWISTED PEAR Trident Shunt Regulator

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

TWISTED PEAR Trident Shunt Regulator

Post by rickmcinnis »

This seems like a good device and I am sure it is for what the designers intended but I discovered over the weekend that it cannot be used for a hybrid power supply.

Wanted to use it to power the clock's battery on the SDTrans. Even when connected to a charged battery it burned up as soon as I touched the wires together. So either the power coming from the battery was more than it could handle or even the SLIGHT charging the battery might have required was more than it could handle. The clock only needs 25 mA and this thing is good for 100 mA.

So much for that. No need for anyone else to make the same mistake unless you really want to.

For the time being I am using the battery from another part of the player to charge this one. Doesn't sound any different so it likely is all that is needed. But the urge to DO SOMETHING is great and hard to resist. I should have been a politician ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Re: TWISTED PEAR Trident Shunt Regulator

Post by nige2000 »

id be wary of trying any light duty "super" regs with batteries the current transfer can be vast
need some sort of restriction like randystuchs resistors
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
gstew

Post by gstew »

For a load like this I'd recommend either a monolithic chip regulator with current limiting (ones using the TP7A4700 series, LT3042, or ADM715x series are good bets) or one that is wildly overbuilt for the load, (the 2A+ Belleson or 1A+ Sparkos are good bets here). The TP Trident has no built-in current limiting and does not have very hefty output devices, so it would be very prone to die in this application, as you found out.

How's the beast sounding?

Greg in Mississippi
gstew

Post by gstew »

Or for real shits and giggles (and serious $$$$), the forthcoming Uptone Audio LPS-1 Ultracap supply would be the ULTIMATE LiPoFE4 feeder supply.

Just sayin'.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Based on tech info released about it so far, it uses the TPS7A700 regulator I mentioned above as one I recommend for this type of application. So it fits in all ways... but requires a well-heeled DIY'ing audiophile!
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I was using a BELLESON mid level but with 9 volts in it failed which is why I decided to try the TRIDENT.

Feeding it 5 volts from the DDDAC 5 volts shunt reg.

Will probably end up using an LT1963 fixed at 3.3V and 9 volts in.

The TRIDENT burned up so fast one would have to use a resistor of such a size as to negate the regulation I fear.

Figure I can build a good enough raw supply. Don't want to buy someone's box. Not a believer in ultracaps especially with byzantine charging systems. No thanks!

Funny thing is I doubt the extra reg is needed. At this point I am using another 3.3 volts LIPO to feed the clock battery and I hear no difference whatsoever. One of those aesthetic details?

Getting the phono system working again soon. Got another pair of those DUCATI caps to make an lclc supply. Leaving the ET arm behind since I no longer want the giant air compressor on my porch. Getting a Riggle tonearm with a 16 inches arm wand. I knew that giant plinth would come in handy one of these days. Should be here early next month. Haven't used a pivoted arm for twenty + years.

Change is almost as good as better in the crazy world of audio.

Did you see the new JPLAY USB card with the "femto" clock. Another CRYSTEK install which based upon "the clock expert" is a joke but people love to talk about them. Just don't look at the measurements ... independent ones, that is.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers