Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

Did you ever see the alternative cover of Fillmore East Dave? Are you tempted by the 'new' Filllmore set? Or would you rather spend it on a regenerator cable ha!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote: Did you ever see the alternative cover of Fillmore East Dave? Are you tempted by the 'new' Filllmore set? Or would you rather spend it on a regenerator cable ha!
Wasnt even aware of an alternative cover Dermot. Dont think I'll bother with the new set to be honest. For a while more I want to expand my collection and not buy the same versions. Might have to actually buy new power chords as the ones I have are a bit short.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
markof

Post by markof »

Something MOR for Sunday afternoon :-)
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
mcq

Post by mcq »

Nice choice, Mark.  Lather restores to their original running order the albums Live In New York, Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan and Orchestral Favorites which constitute some of Zappa's finest work but whose originally releases were bungled (atrocious album covers and unauthorised studio mixes) as a result of Zappa's legal wrangles at the time with Warners.  Live In New York is, along with Roxy and Elsewhere and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2: The Helsinki Tapes, perhaps his finest post-Mothers live album.  Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt contain so many classic Zappa moments including The Adventures of Gregory Peccary, Regyptian Strut, RDNZL, The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution and Filthy Habits.  Orchestral Favorites contains Zappa's first dabblings in orchestral composition and, whilst it is not as successful as the 1984 recordings with the LSO, it is a very mature artistic statement and I really wish that Zappa had pursued this route seriously during his life.  In conclusion, Lather represents to my mind a definitive illustration of the sheer diversity of Zappa's creative interests.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Nice choice, Mark.  Lather restores to their original running order the albums Live In New York, Sleep Dirt, Studio Tan and Orchestral Favorites which constitute some of Zappa's finest work but whose originally releases were bungled (atrocious album covers and unauthorised studio mixes) as a result of Zappa's legal wrangles at the time with Warners.  Live In New York is, along with Roxy and Elsewhere and You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Volume 2: The Helsinki Tapes, perhaps his finest post-Mothers live album.  Studio Tan and Sleep Dirt contain so many classic Zappa moments including The Adventures of Gregory Peccary, Regyptian Strut, RDNZL, The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution and Filthy Habits.  Orchestral Favorites contains Zappa's first dabblings in orchestral composition and, whilst it is not as successful as the 1984 recordings with the LSO, it is a very mature artistic statement and I really wish that Zappa had pursued this route seriously during his life.  In conclusion, Lather represents to my mind a definitive illustration of the sheer diversity of Zappa's creative interests.
Pity it's not available on vinyl. Interesting what you said about Roxy and Elsewhere which is widely available on vinyl. I've always passed it by because I've been led to believe that it's not up to much. If it's good as you say Paul then I'll definitely be picking it next time I'm in Dublin....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just picked this track at random. Wow! Cannot believe how good this is!!!!! Thanks guys for putting me right :)

cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote: Did you ever see the alternative cover of Fillmore East Dave? Are you tempted by the 'new' Filllmore set? Or would you rather spend it on a regenerator cable ha!
Wasnt even aware of an alternative cover Dermot. Dont think I'll bother with the new set to be honest. For a while more I want to expand my collection and not buy the same versions. Might have to actually buy new power chords as the ones I have are a bit short.
This is the outtake photo from the album. Brilliant isn't it :) Sorry about the quality as it's a photo of a photocopy.....

mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote:Just picked this track at random. Wow! Cannot believe how good this is!!!!! Thanks guys for putting me right :)

Zappa at his best with the 1974 band - one of his greatest touring ensembles - performing the utterly inspired Inca Roads.  Humour most certainly does belong in music and it need not necessarily be at the expense of the music.  Another exceptional display of the man's incredible guitar playing - to my mind, one of the two greatest rock guitarists ever (the other is Robert Fripp).  The man is much missed and departed our earthly shores far too early.  His artistic credentials remain criminally under-valued.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

And, perhaps more relevant to my earlier post on Lather and specifically Live in New York, here is Zappa performing Black Napkins with his superb 1977 band.  

cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:
cybot wrote:
Zappa at his best with the 1974 band - one of his greatest touring ensembles - performing the utterly inspired Inca Roads.  Humour most certainly does belong in music and it need not necessarily be at the expense of the music.  Another exceptional display of the man's incredible guitar playing - to my mind, one of the two greatest rock guitarists ever (the other is Robert Fripp).  The man is much missed and departed our earthly shores far too early.  His artistic credentials remain criminally under-valued.

Ah that's classic. The animation is a hoot especially the bit mimicking Zappa's playing :) Thanks for that Paul....