Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Ivor »

This doesn't quite fit into any genre ... which is a good thing. I resisted the charms of Eva Cassidy for many years and for many reasons (mainly because she covered Fields of Gold - a hanging offence in any civilised society) but having heard various tracks of Live at Blues Alley over the years I decided to grab me a copy and I like it lot... apart from the cover of "that" song obviously.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tweber

Post by tweber »

Playing for the first time in years, some nice playing on it,particularly side 2
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:Image
Playing for the first time in years, some nice playing on it,particularly side 2
Ah it's great to somebody else appreciating Jimi! Other than me that is :) Did you ever hear the triple version Shane? I'm sayin' nuthin'. The MOV version contains an extra track over the original triple. And, no, I'm NOT buying it! The extra track is 'Burning Of The Midnight Lamp' - no harm in looking ;)

BTW I love the Radio One theme he makes up on the spot. Dig those heavy chords :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:This doesn't quite fit into any genre ... which is a good thing. I resisted the charms of Eva Cassidy for many years and for many reasons (mainly because she covered Fields of Gold - a hanging offence in any civilised society) but having heard various tracks of Live at Blues Alley over the years I decided to grab me a copy and I like it lot... apart from the cover of "that" song obviously.

Ah that's terrific! Pity it's not available on the old black disc :(
tweber

Post by tweber »

Ah it's great to somebody else appreciating Jimi! Other than me that is :) Did you ever hear the triple version Shane? I'm sayin' nuthin'. The MOV version contains an extra track over the original triple. And, no, I'm NOT buying it! The extra track is 'Burning Of The Midnight Lamp' - no harm in looking ;)

BTW I love the Radio One theme he makes up on the spot. Dig those heavy chords :)
No Dermot, it's a double only. Bought it when it came out in '89. "Burning..." is on it though alright. Sounds better than I remember too :-)

This came out around the same time but I couldn't get my hands on it:
5lp set, love the photo on the cover
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:

No Dermot, it's a double only. Bought it when it came out in '89. "Burning..." is on it though alright. Sounds better than I remember too :-)

Yeah I have that 5 Lp set :) On one of his anniversaries I used that photo, which, as you said, is a terrific pic ....

BTW which version have you got? Castle Communications (blue vinyl) or Rykodisc (clear vinyl)?
Just now when I was checking the proper name of Castle, a tiny gatefold sleeved 3" cd fell out of the Lp :) It contains Day Tripper and alt. versions of Drivin' South and Hear My Train A Comin'; completely forgot I had it! It's a little beauty though :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:
tweber wrote:

Yeah I have that 5 Lp set :) On one of his anniversaries I used that photo, which, as you said, is a terrific pic ....

BTW which version have you got? Castle Communications (blue vinyl) or Rykodisc (clear vinyl)?
Just now when I was checking the proper name of Castle, a tiny gatefold sleeved 3" cd fell out of the Lp :) It contains Day Tripper and alt. versions of Drivin' South and Hear My Train A Comin'; completely forgot I had it! It's a little beauty though :)
Castle Communications (black vinyl), no cd in it either, no matter how hard I look ;-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:

Castle Communications (black vinyl), no cd in it either, no matter how hard I look ;-)
Ha ha :) The Castle version is the best version IMO. Far more dynamic etc etc. The mini cd I bought separately :)
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

My Joe got this double vinyl (red and yellow discs) and cd in the post today. Had it on pre release-Great album!!!!
Alt-J ...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411152796.183521.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411152796.183521.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 302 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah this new double gatefold LP version on MOV looks and sounds brilliant! Dig that liquid sound from Alvin's Big Red ES-335 Gibson custom guitar :)