Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

Many thanks for bringing the Henry Cow box to my attention, Dermot. I missed it completely. I shall have to place an order once the world returns to some kind of normality. I still remember buying Unrest and In Praise of Learning as expensive CD imports from Virgin in Dublin. I have a distant recollection of reading some article about Robert Fripp and there was some reference to Fred Frith and Henry Cow in the article. It must have been a magazine I respected like The Wire because I immediately placed a blind order for the two Henry Cow CDs (which were not cheap, believe me).

Nothing could have prepared me for that music. Prior to Henry Cow, I thought King Crimson’s Larks’ Tongues In Aspic was complex but, in comparison, Henry Cow was a world apart. What helped me immensely was my earlier exposure to modern classical music like Edgar Varese and Anton Webern and Arnold Schoenberg which I had encountered via Frank Zappa but it was still undeniably a challenge. This music is demanding and requires patience and commitment on the part of the listener. I struggled with the music but persisted and, 30 years laters, I am still reaping the dividends from these intense listening sessions.

An important part of the Henry Cow musical landscape was bassoonist Lindsay Cooper who forged a remarkable career as musician and composer. Sadly, she passed away in September 2013. It emerged that she had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis when she was an active member of Henry Cow and she chose not to disclose this diagnosis to anybody because she apparently thought that it would affect the way her music was perceived. She was a true artist, deeply committed and unreservedly respected by her peers. Here is a wonderful clip (though sadly brief) of this wonderful artist with the Mike Westbrook Ensemble. Nobody could rock a bassoon quite like Ms. Cooper.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9KZvwOl9M

And here is Fred Firth’s ensemble, Gravity, performing a piece he wrote for Ms. Cooper a mere two days after her passing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mIuaLo5Jdo0

Our world would be immeasurably poorer without the contributions of artists such as these.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

You're welcome Paul. Everything passed us by before CV-19 simply because we never took the time to slow down. Now us music lovers are discovering things in our own vaults that we completely forgot about. At least this has to be a positive spin off for the future.

Anyway (again!) thanks for filling in the gaps. Wasn't aware of Lindsay's plight or untimely passing in 2013. You're so right she can certainly rock! Nice tribute from Fred too.

So that you know, the box set is available from SOUNDOHM who only deliver by courier. It's not much extra. They still have some copies left. I'll order my own copy this evening. All your fault Paul! Here's the link:

https://www.soundohm.com/product/the-he ... ox-redux-t
mcq

Post by mcq »

Many thanks for the link to the SOUNDOHM site, Dermot. There’s a very nice Faust box there as well which I wasn’t previously aware of. It’s a very interesting site, SOUNDOHM, and one I shall keep bookmarked. I do like supporting these small websites as opposed to the ubiquitous Amazon behemoth. I find it quite extraordinary that the personal wealth of Jeff Bezos has increased by $24 billion since the outbreak of the pandemic. Staggering, just staggering.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:21 pm Many thanks for the link to the SOUNDOHM site, Dermot. There’s a very nice Faust box there as well which I wasn’t previously aware of. It’s a very interesting site, SOUNDOHM, and one I shall keep bookmarked. I do like supporting these small websites as opposed to the ubiquitous Amazon behemoth. I find it quite extraordinary that the personal wealth of Jeff Bezos has increased by $24 billion since the outbreak of the pandemic. Staggering, just staggering.
Yeah I heard that the other night about JB. I couldn't believe it. It beggars belief actually.

The great advantage of ordering from SOUNDOHM is you don't have to worry about the vagaries of the standard posting method especially now as I discovered to my cost. I'm still waiting on an Lp order from the UK that would have normally taken about a week to arrive. I used the standard posting method as I always do. Big mistake. It was posted out on the 8th of this month and it still hasn't arrived. Ah well I'm not complaining. Honestly.

Anyway I've ordered the Henry Cow set and that's that! It's actually out of stock on Amazon anyway unless you want to go by the 'used' route.

Re: The Faust box set : are you talking about 'The Wumme Years'?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Something I found in my own archives. A real blast of 'difficult' and, mostly unreleased music, on double slabs of plastic. Richard B certainly knew how to rock the boat. File under 'Pop' :)

Track/Artist listing:
1. Yesterday Man - Robert Wyatt (3:07)
2. Don Alfonso - Mike Oldfield and Kevin Ayers (6:04)
3. Go And Sit Upon The Grass - Ivor Cutler (2:20)
4. Overture - Tangerine Dream (11:06)
5. Marjory Razorblade - Kevin Coyne (8:30)
6. Looking For The River - Kevin Coyne (3:06)
7. Mirror Man (live) - Captain Beefheart (4:42)
8. Upon The My-O-My - Captain Beefheart (4:00)
9. Extract From The Messiah - Slapp Happy (1:45)
10. A Worm Is At Work - Henry Cow (1:48)
11. Sad Sing - Tom Newman and Mike Oldfield (2:17)
12. Super Man - Tom Newman (3:30)
13. Charles Semba - Chili (3:20)
14. Baile (They Are Gone) - Jabula (4:33)
15. Extract From Part 1 - Clearlight Symphony (4:00)
16. Your Majesty Is Like A Cream Donut - Hatfield And The North (6:08)
17. White Noise II (Extract) - White Noise II (4:00)
18. Pentagramaspinn - Steve Hillage (5:45)

Total time 80:01
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:35 pm You're welcome Paul. Everything passed us by before CV-19 simply because we never took the time to slow down. Now us music lovers are discovering things in our own vaults that we completely forgot about. At least this has to be a positive spin off for the future.

Anyway (again!) thanks for filling in the gaps. Wasn't aware of Lindsay's plight or untimely passing in 2013. You're so right she can certainly rock! Nice tribute from Fred too.

So that you know, the box set is available from SOUNDOHM who only deliver by courier. It's not much extra. They still have some copies left. I'll order my own copy this evening. All your fault Paul! Here's the link:

Not going to say much about the whole Covid-19 S***storm other than I'm agree I'm finding some gems hidden in my own archives too...most i wouldn't bore ye with but at least we all have music to enjoy and lift our spirits (hopefully)
Dermot I promise the Jimi box will be opened soon but some more embarrassing stuff being rediscovered first :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:41 pm
cybot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:35 pm You're welcome Paul. Everything passed us by before CV-19 simply because we never took the time to slow down. Now us music lovers are discovering things in our own vaults that we completely forgot about. At least this has to be a positive spin off for the future.

Not going to say much about the whole Covid-19 S***storm other than I'm agree I'm finding some gems hidden in my own archives too...most i wouldn't bore ye with but at least we all have music to enjoy and lift our spirits (hopefully)
Dermot I promise the Jimi box will be opened soon but some more embarrassing stuff being rediscovered first :-)
So you've got the complete Henry Cow collection hidden away lol!!!!!!! Moooooooooo 😜

Seriously Shane, open that Jim box and let us know what you think. You will be absolutely bowled over with the sonics. The musics not bad either but sometimes I wish Buddy would shut the feck up! Wait'll you hear the long lost Steal Away on Lp #7.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Paul,

This might interest you and thus clear up any lingering doubts on the Henry Cow box set.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/the-40th-a ... ?width=768

https://www.discogs.com/Henry-Cow-The-H ... e/14449147

Notes:

17 CDs, 1 DVD and 180 pages of histories, chronology, testimony and commentaries by the band, sundry contemporary documents, and rare photographs – in a sturdy box.

This collection brings together the full contents of the three former boxes,

Henry Cow - 40th Anniversary Box - The Studio: Volumes 1-5
Henry Cow - 40th Anniversary Box - The Road: Volumes 1-5
Henry Cow - 40th Anniversary Box - The Road: Volumes 6-10 With DVD

as well as the "Concerts" double CD,

Henry Cow - Concerts

with the addition of a further 60pp booklet [Book 1: The Studio: Official Releases] of newly unearthed, or commissioned, band commentaries, pictures and other documents prepared specifically for this release.

This box set contains re-mastered versions of all the studio CDs and the rare bonus CD (Cabinet of Curiosities),

Henry Cow - A Cow Cabinet Of Curiosities

which came with the subscription edition of the original boxed set.

Subscribers to this boxset received an additional limited edition free bonus CD, Ex Box Collected Fragments 1971 - 1978. ReR Megacorp made this CD also available for separate purchase.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Wow! I’d be a fool to miss that. It really is a very generous gesture on the part of the label to include so much material for such a reasonable price. I’m particularly looking forward to hearing the live material.

And yes, the Faust box I referred to in my earlier post is indeed the Wümme Years box. Looks essential.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 pm Wow! I’d be a fool to miss that. It really is a very generous gesture on the part of the label to include so much material for such a reasonable price. I’m particularly looking forward to hearing the live material.

And yes, the Faust box I referred to in my earlier post is indeed the Wümme Years box. Looks essential.
It's always the Live setting that determines the true worth of a band.

The Faust box IS essential :)