Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by mcq »

Listening late tonight to Jackie Leven.  First up was his 2007 album, Oh What A Blow That Phantom Dealt Me!  An album I will always treasure for Leven's moving tributes to Judee Sill (The Shadow In Her Crucifix) and Kevin Coyne (Here Come The Urban Ravens).  The Sill tribute is sincere, achingly personal and deeply heartfelt, whilst the Coyne tribute is a gem, sadly resigned in tone, yet proudly defiant. 

I followed this up with Sir Vincent Lone's 2007 album, When The Bridesmaid Comes.  Sir Vincent Lone was a pseudonym that Jackie created when his label, Cooking Vinyl, informed him that that he was releasing too many records under his own name.  When The Bridesmaid Comes is one of the great Judee Sill covers and Coyne of the Realm is another wonderful tribute to Kevin Coyne.

Jackie's gone about three years now and is much missed.  Such a legacy of pure, honest, deeply human songwriting he left behind.  And a quivering, broken, unbearably soulful voice that just breaks my heart every time I hear it.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

His best in years......

The album comes with a full CD so for "pigiron" I stuck on the CD after playing the LP.... Huge difference - vinyl was much more engaging and vivid.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Never sure if this should be in rock or jazz....

Do or do not, there is no try
tweber

Post by tweber »

Image can't believe it's 25 years old!

All on vinyl, part of the xmas haul.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Derek

Post by Derek »

Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

sounding good on the stereo tonight.

SJB
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

new Naim Stageline, so some vinyl

SJB