Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:A nice way to remember Jack.....

Sad news indeed Dermot, thanks for the clip
You're welcome Shane....
mcq

Post by mcq »

Simply exquisite.  Listening tonight to Laura Nyro's timeless masterpiece, New York Tendaberry.  The great voice here is at its peak.  Perhaps the most techinically accomplished female vocalist in all of popular music, and rivalled only by the great Tim Buckley, the octave range that she could span was quite staggering.  Rickie Lee Jones once remarked that when Nyro sang she could make the planets roar.  The songs on New York Tendaberry retain a purity and an intensity that has rarely been equalled.  Every time I listen to these songs the experience becomes ever more enrapturing.  You really feel emotionally wiped with each passing listen.  And yet each successive listen draws you further under its spell.  Leonard Cohen once elegantly expressed the totality of a life's experience as being a thousand kisses deep and I think this is analogous to listening to the great albums over the course of a lifetime.  When I listen to Astral Weeks, Starsailor, Heart Food, American Gothic or New York Tendaberry (to take just five examples), I get the distinct impression that this is music that truly is a thousand listens deep.  So much is expressed here that encompasses so much of life's experiences that it is impossible to comprehend it in a single listen.  To paraphrase Laura Nyro, this music becomes like a blue note inside the listener that deepens and reverberates with repeated and sustained listening and evolves in the listener's mind over the course of a lifetime.  A thousand listens in, you really start wading in the depths of the music and begin to appreciate the depth of inspiration of these great artists.  Laura Nyro wrote nothing finer than the title track to New York Tendaberry and the indelible impression that it makes on the listener is akin to experiencing masterpieces like Madame George, Song to the Sailor, Montana Song or The Donor.  Timeless music that will outlast us all.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:Image

Simply exquisite.  Listening tonight to Laura Nyro's timeless masterpiece, New York Tendaberry.  The great voice here is at its peak.  Perhaps the most techinically accomplished female vocalist in all of popular music, and rivalled only by the great Tim Buckley, the octave range that she could span was quite staggering.  Rickie Lee Jones once remarked that when Nyro sang she could make the planets roar.  The songs on New York Tendaberry retain a purity and an intensity that has rarely been equalled.  Every time I listen to these songs the experience becomes ever more enrapturing.  You really feel emotionally wiped with each passing listen.  And yet each successive listen draws you further under its spell.  Leonard Cohen once elegantly expressed the totality of a life's experience as being a thousand kisses deep and I think this is analogous to listening to the great albums over the course of a lifetime.  When I listen to Astral Weeks, Starsailor, Heart Food, American Gothic or New York Tendaberry (to take just five examples), I get the distinct impression that this is music that truly is a thousand listens deep.  So much is expressed here that encompasses so much of life's experiences that it is impossible to comprehend it in a single listen.  To paraphrase Laura Nyro, this music becomes like a blue note inside the listener that deepens and reverberates with repeated and sustained listening and evolves in the listener's mind over the course of a lifetime.  A thousand listens in, you really start wading in the depths of the music and begin to appreciate the depth of inspiration of these great artists.  Laura Nyro wrote nothing finer than the title track to New York Tendaberry and the indelible impression that it makes on the listener is akin to experiencing masterpieces like Madame George, Song to the Sailor, Montana Song or The Donor.  Timeless music that will outlast us all.

Even though she is no longer with us her siren songs sing to the very depths of our soul and embed us in a thousand galaxies of wonder and enchantment to such an extent that her own immortality is ensured for countless generations to come. Not for the first time Paul, thanks for sharing.....
markof

Post by markof »

A bit of Allan Holdsworth over lunch - fantastic - sounds really good.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
mcq

Post by mcq »

cybot wrote:
mcq wrote:Image

Simply exquisite ...

Even though she is no longer with us her siren songs sing to the very depths of our soul and embed us in a thousand galaxies of wonder and enchantment to such an extent that her own immortality is ensured for countless generations to come. Not for the first time Paul, thanks for sharing.....
Amen to that, Dermot.  I just hope that her music remains permanently available and is never deleted, unlike the ongoing shabby treatment of David Ackles' back catalogue. 
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

Weather still continues bad so really need some comfort music - nothing like some Focus.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Trawling through the oldies (but goodies) now.
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

Weather still continues bad so really need some comfort music - nothing like some Focus.

....memories!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

First LP I ever bought. Happy memories!!!
markof

Post by markof »

JAW wrote:

First LP I ever bought. Happy memories!!!
I have Pat Agnew to thank for introducing me to Focus and Caravan.
Oatlands College, 5th. year (1972, I think)
Mark.