Cloney show

Diapason

Re: Cloney show

Post by Diapason »

Just thinking, my comment about the DACs in the Devialet Experts makes no sense, given that the analogue input goes through the same circuit with an extra ADC. So look elsewhere for my lack of enjoyment of digital there, I guess.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I found the B&W fronted system a bit harsh but I'm blaming the loom of Nordost cables for that. The Technics deck is superb and I think that particular system held it back a little... I thought the digital source sounded a little bit more relaxed.
As with everyone else I was very pleasantly surprised by the Devialet Phantom speakers.. I wasn't expecting that! A pure digital system with no harshness or sterility. Amazing frequencies and... this was all from ONE speaker! Very impressed by this unit, I'd love to hear them in a stereo pair.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Went yesterday and as Fran said "great to be part of the 50th celebrations, it really is quite some achievement. Well done to all!
Thanks to Cloneys for organising it all, I wish you many many more years of success!"

And so say all of us.

As has already been said, I thought the Nordost cables did not make the most of the amp & speakers in the main demo room. It must be near impossible to demo equipment in a manner that allows a large number of listeners to sit and listen. Unlike others, I was impressed with the digital input from the Bluesound kit. More so with the cheaper Bluesound Node 2 which was in use in the Cloney shop. Ivan gave me a once over and it is hard not to be impressed.

Met lots of music people there, Fran and Ivor on the Main Street with a bitterly cold wind blowing! Great to see you guys again.

Lovely to see the vintage gear in Cloney's shop. The turntable and the reel to reel deck - Wow! The Quad gear, again Wow!
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

always good to have a hifi show to go to

this morning i was trying to figure out reading this thread
how a single phantom could be better than the Devialet and b+w

there was nothing for it only to pop in for a short while,
didn't get to hear digital on the main system only vinyl on it,
and heard the phantom which was more impressive comparatively and much cooler
although think many forum members systems would bury it

wasnt it the same or similar Devialet amp Darius used with the project audio speakers at his demo?
was more convinced with the sound of that combo
would be interesting to try different amps and speakers with the technics TT
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

nige2000 wrote: would be interesting to try different amps and speakers with the technics TT
Absolutely!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Claus

Post by Claus »

Good little demo of a couple of their products. I thought the devialet B&W setup sounded fine. It really shone with the vinyl playback. Great separation and dynamics. Soundstage was also good. Not too harsh in my opinion. Still a very expensive option compared to other speakers out there!

The new nordost man was a bit disappointing compared to Lars, but he managed to convince me to try out some of their products. Will report back if/when it happens. Specifically a tonearm lead and some kones....

Had hoped to listen to some vintage equipment on demo but alas these were only on display.
JAW

Post by JAW »

I went early on Sunday and spent a bit of time with both the Devialet Phantom and the B&W/Technics/Devialet/Nordost systems. I just don't get the Phantom. To my ears it sounded hard and unconvincing. In comparison, although I only heard vinyl playback, the B&W combination had more presence and was far more involving and natural.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:I went early on Sunday and spent a bit of time with both the Devialet Phantom and the B&W/Technics/Devialet/Nordost systems. I just don't get the Phantom. To my ears it sounded hard and unconvincing. In comparison, although I only heard vinyl playback, the B&W combination had more presence and was far more involving and natural.
Exactly my sentiments when I first heard the Phantom a while ago.....