MS Server 2016 // RamOS working // KS/Asio working in Core

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Octagon

MS Server 2016 // RamOS working // KS/Asio working in Core

Post by Octagon »

Dear all,

the first thread is unfortunately broken, I give it a second try:

We have had already some discussions about Server 2016 in the RamOS thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3171&start=144

With our experience regarding sq and the official rollout I think it is worth an own tread. Since some days 2016 Core Mode is working fine up to 192kHz with both, asio or kernel streaming in my system. Next to it 2016 Gui is working fine and flawless as RamOS. Audiophil Optimizer 2.10b5 supports 2016 in both modes. Let's look into some details:

2016 Gui
All AO optimizations work fine.
Microsofts improved performance of the audio section and the kernel itself end up in a better sq in my system in comparison to R2.
The whole software package runs even better used as RamOS.

Phil still has to do fine tuning and additional work on closing some security processes etc. of MS.

2016 Core Mode
Kernel streaming works great as well as asio with lowest latency
AO's optimizations working fine.
As the system is even more smoothed and stabilized, the sq of Core is superseding 2016 Gui, something we already know from R2.
Manual processing of driver installation is a challenge and not simple.

I am happy to announce that with Mutec's MC3.1+ USB I have for the first time been able to achieve a perfect running system in 2016 Core mode. The dedicated player PC runs flawless since some days with KS or Asio. I am sure that Mr. Peters, Managing Director of Mutec, will be proud manufsctoring one of the first audio devices working fine with 2016 Core Mode! For the first test I used Foobar 1.3.13, Mutec's driver set to lowest latency with 192kHz sample rate. JPlay is next to come.

One need to understand, that Core Mide with 2016 is not anymore accessible from Gui but has to be installed from scratch. There is not the chance as with R2 to configure the system in Gui and switch then to Core. One needs to install drivers and configure all software in the Core mode itself. That is a challenge for the moment.

Allthough I have been successfull to install the firadisk driver, it is unfortunately not running correct. Therefore I can't use Core mode as RamOS at the moment because the booting device is not recognized correctly.

Breakthrough has been the success of Phil and his team, once again making KS available in Core. With the Core mode as a standalone installation, it is much more complicate as with R2 where you could individualize the system in Gui and then switch to Core. Now everything has to be done manually like in a black box. Phil, you are working on some helpfull features, don't you?

Talking about sq after AO optimization, something like this order seems to work out:
W10 < R2 Core < R2 Core RamOS <= 2016 Gui < 2016 Gui RamOS <= 2016 Core

Enjoy the music
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
motberg

Re: MS Server 2016 // RamOS working // KS/Asio working in Co

Post by motberg »

Very Interesting - many thanks for posting the update, especially the SQ comparisons!