Naked Portafilter

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
tony

Re: Naked Portafilter

Post by tony »

Didn't realise you were up at that level of machine. That's the biz you don't need a rocket you have one already. Any machine in that bracket is top notch. 9 to 10 bar for the gaggia. It comes set to 15 from the factory.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

think my pressures a little low will be doin this tomorrow
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Not an expert but would have thought so. 9 bar seems to be the optimum. I see you are also watching the same 'Top Gear' coffee videos. Funny how one can ignore the desire for updating the car to the latest model but the coffee machine with some nice shiny stainless steel and pressure gauges are a must have life necessity.

Did you get the machine new? Only issue I can see with it is lack of rotary pump. After that all the machines seem to have pro's and cons. Stainless steel vs copper, plumbed in etc. You have the dual boiler great for hifi meet ups you can supply endless latte's and espresso's without breaking sweat. My Gaggia would be panting for air.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 am Not an expert but would have thought so. 9 bar seems to be the optimum. I see you are also watching the same 'Top Gear' coffee videos. Funny how one can ignore the desire for updating the car to the latest model but the coffee machine with some nice shiny stainless steel and pressure gauges are a must have life necessity.
puttin up 9.25 bar this morning i must have imagined 7bar,
ive watched all the videos
that the kind and informative coffee machine sellers educate us with
the dreaded checklist
e61 brewhead
PID
Dual copper boilers
Pressure gauges
rotary pump, (not vibratory tut tut)
by which stage you're into the price of a car
end of the day as always
buying a good welding machine doesnt make you good at it
like an espresso machine don't make you a barista (alway thought there was more magic in the grind)

same with paint gun sprayers, plasma cutters, soldering irons, reflow ovens, hot air reworkers, oscilloscope and all the coffee gear ive gathered up over the years just takes research and practice at which stage you sometimes realise you dont always need the equipment spec you thought you did at the start

still would like the rocket though
Did you get the machine new? Only issue I can see with it is lack of rotary pump. After that all the machines seem to have pro's and cons. Stainless steel vs copper, plumbed in etc. You have the dual boiler great for hifi meet ups you can supply endless latte's and espresso's without breaking sweat. My Gaggia would be panting for air.
funny i never use the steam boiler, its usually switched off, i either go with espresso or a very long espresso
and usually only have one cup per day, not like when i was on filter (almost by the gallon)
i could pull maybe 7-8 double shots in a row without temp dropping too much

this is the way i use the grinder
fill enough for double shot and keep beans in airtight container, keep tamper in hole
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

my la pavoni leaver- the boiler has come loose from the base sliding sideways -i have the machine split -i was thinking of going to car spares type place and getting a piece of gasget it looks to be similar to engine head gasget type of thing .
did anyone ever try a few drops of tabasco in coffee i do this quite often
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I feel like our approach to espresso mimics our current approach to sonics. You guys are going all out for that last bit of quality and I really admire that. Deep down that's what I really want to be doing, nerding it up, reading the reviews, watching the videos, buying the gear, tinkering, aiming for the highest level.

I'm using a Nespresso machine.

How did it come to this???
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 pm puttin up 9.25 bar this morning i must have imagined 7bar,
ive watched all the videos,that the kind and informative coffee machine sellers educate us with the dreaded checklist
e61 brewhead PID Dual copper boilers Pressure gauges rotary pump, (not vibratory tut tut)by which stage you're into the price of a car
end of the day as always buying a good welding machine doesnt make you good at it
like an espresso machine don't make you a barista (alway thought there was more magic in the grind)
same with paint gun sprayers, plasma cutters, soldering irons, reflow ovens, hot air reworkers, oscilloscope and all the coffee gear ive gathered up over the years just takes research and practice at which stage you sometimes realise you dont always need the equipment spec you thought you did at the start still would like the rocket though funny i never use the steam boiler, its usually switched off, i either go with espresso or a very long espresso and usually only have one cup per day, not like when i was on filter (almost by the gallon)
i could pull maybe 7-8 double shots in a row without temp dropping too much

Agree with all especially dual boiler and milky dwinks as I never make them but the lure of the Rocket! I just bought a mini hopper (about a month ago) but your option is probably the right thing to do. Typical mole grips type solution but very effective!

Simon your man cave dosh is all gone on the Cremona's etc so you will have to suffer on with the nespresso. Old Quads leave some leftover change for other stuff.

Giant haystacks just talk to Ken he is the resident LaPavoni engineer, I think he has a masters also so you be getting the best most expensive advice. Missed out on one on donedeal recently.Good price and as a piece of art on the counter alone it would have been worth the punt.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

GH get your gasket here http://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en/La- ... cc-33.aspx and any spares you need. The boiler is inclined to swivel on the base despite being watertight. Try a few drops of superglue around the back to connect boiler to base and you won't have any more swivelling. KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

this is how i try to kombat the naked portafilter spray

this shot pulled much too fast, but you get the idea

have a nepresso collecting dust, only pulled a few dozen shots if anyone wants it
tweber

Post by tweber »

tony wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm Rocket Giotto or ECM machine really badly needed here as well! Have finally done the pressure adjustment on the Gaggia and the last batch of beans were a lot better. Maybe I am starting to figure out the roasting. Portafilter is now generally working a treat after some spray tanning issues! I agree re doserless I got the doser Rocky as I reckoned the doserless would be too messy but I see your point if only making for one you can just grind sufficient with the doser. Shane maybe take that in to consideration.
Cheers Tony for your advice. Doserless was initially my gut feeling too but fairly expensive. I did come across this today though. Worth looking at if the price is still available??
https://www.coffeeitalia.ie/rocky-doserless.html