Playback software for Eejits.

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Ivor

Playback software for Eejits.

Post by Ivor »

My trial of JRiver just ended and while I was impressed with it I wanted to try out a few others before committing. A bit like girls in my youth really. Marvel at my memory. Anyway, Roon wanted credit card details for a free trial. I know they're reputable and all but I don't like that. That's not exactly "free" is it?

A quick google threw up several options and confirmed a few suspicions... anyway I'm trying MusicBee and I have to say it's impressive, and it's free... I haven't done any serious listening but it sound pretty good "off axis". I have to say feature wise it's pretty good. Early days yet but doesn't seem to want to let me connect to a NAS which is a pity because that's where I want to store all my music but I suspect (hope) some rebooting might get around that. It also has an android app for armchair control.
Anyone familiar with MusicBee? Any pitfalls?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Sloop John B

Re: Playback software for Eejits.

Post by Sloop John B »

Try Roon, it really is an amazing interrogation into your library.

My best purchase in many years of hifi.

SJB
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Sloop John B wrote:Try Roon, it really is an amazing interrogation into your library.

SJB

As I said above "Anyway, Roon wanted credit card details for a free trial. I know they're reputable and all but I don't like that. That's not exactly "free" is it?"

I know it provides great metadata (so I'm told anyway) and it was tempting but I just don't like giving out CC details like that.
I'm finding MusicBee to be really really good... very easy to customise, very intuitive. Nice sound quality too and you also have the option to fuck it up completely with equalizers and presets and the every popular "stereo enhancer". Avoid that nonsense and you have a very clean open sound and it's absolutely free.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

daphile on an old laptop with squeezer app on the phone as remote? Did we talk about this before?
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:daphile on an old laptop with squeezer app on the phone as remote? Did we talk about this before?
We did! I tried Daphile along with JRiver but kept finding glitches, much of it my own doing.

Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Ivor wrote:
Sloop John B wrote:Try Roon, it really is an amazing interrogation into your library.

SJB

As I said above "Anyway, Roon wanted credit card details for a free trial. I know they're reputable and all but I don't like that. That's not exactly "free" is it?"
Just use paypal, honesty, try Roon and be sure it's not for you rather than cursing your stupidity in a few years time.

SJB
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Ivor, as Fran said - a laptop running Daphile - controlled by iPeng on an iPad.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Rocker wrote:Ivor, as Fran said - a laptop running Daphile - controlled by iPeng on an iPad.
Well I don't do iProducts but even still... very happily running JRiver MC22 and a wireless keyboard does the remote access!