Another interesting r2r dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
wushuliu

Re: Another interesting r2r dac

Post by wushuliu »

I think I am too. Afraid to even mod despite the cheap parts. Maybe it's just lucky synergy.

I also suspect the new windows 10 uac2 usb driver/Creator's update has finally elevated windows USB performance. All my dacs have sounded better since upgrading. Only took twenty years...
Eclipse W6520R/Satori TW29R MTM
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

I have 2 spare Audio-GD DA-M1 modules. Anyone interested? Please send PM.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

wushuliu wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm I think I am too. Afraid to even mod despite the cheap parts. Maybe it's just lucky synergy.

I also suspect the new windows 10 uac2 usb driver/Creator's update has finally elevated windows USB performance. All my dacs have sounded better since upgrading. Only took twenty years...
arrived yesterday....... wouldnt swap it for the soekris anyway
As sigma delta chips go its not too harsh which is odd for a dac costing less than 30$

its probably got some burn in to do

you'ld probably like those tda1387 chips too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm
wushuliu wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm I think I am too. Afraid to even mod despite the cheap parts. Maybe it's just lucky synergy.

arrived yesterday....... wouldnt swap it for the soekris anyway
As sigma delta chips go its not too harsh which is odd for a dac costing less than 30$

its probably got some burn in to do

you'ld probably like those tda1387 chips too
Yes the lack of hash, for a usb dac, is remarkable. It's not the ultimate in fidelity but I've grown tired of chasing the dragon.
I may try to power it with a small Lt3045 LPS.

thanks for giving it a whirl!
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm you'ld probably like those tda1387 chips too
I've recently discovered a minor enhancement for tda1387 - I/V conversion using Toshiba MOSFETs. Not the power type, small signal ones like this - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tos ... ePxg%3d%3d

Seems to give better bass - when I simulated in LTSpice the output impedance is higher than with a bipolar transistor in the bass. So I'm wondering if there's a connection...
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

abraxalito wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 am
nige2000 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm you'ld probably like those tda1387 chips too
I've recently discovered a minor enhancement for tda1387 - I/V conversion using Toshiba MOSFETs. Not the power type, small signal ones like this - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tos ... ePxg%3d%3d

Seems to give better bass - when I simulated in LTSpice the output impedance is higher than with a bipolar transistor in the bass. So I'm wondering if there's a connection...
I've done a headphone buffer with similar small (they are only SOT23 size) Mosfet parts recommended by Richard & with his schematic & directions. It's a SE class A design, only one device in the signal path & sounds wonderful.

I have every reason to believe that used as I/V it will sound excellent - I'm interested in building this - maybe a new thread?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

Has anyone done the W10 Creator's Update with the new usb drivers? For some reason this doesn't seem to have caught the attention of audiophiles. I have a suspicion it plays a part in why my cheap dac sounds as good as it does. I also noticed my Dragonfly sound quality went up as well. Only real feedback has been from one of the Jplay designers and the Fidelizer guy. Both acknowledge it's a step up, though the latter still prefers his OEM.
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

wushuliu wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 pm Has anyone done the W10 Creator's Update with the new usb drivers? For some reason this doesn't seem to have caught the attention of audiophiles. I have a suspicion it plays a part in why my cheap dac sounds as good as it does. I also noticed my Dragonfly sound quality went up as well. Only real feedback has been from one of the Jplay designers and the Fidelizer guy. Both acknowledge it's a step up, though the latter still prefers his OEM.
Just installing Win 10 on a Thinkpad - do I then need to do the Creator's update or are the native UAC2 drivers part of the standard installation?
I'll compare it to my Win 7 Dell later
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

jkeny wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm
wushuliu wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 pm Has anyone done the W10 Creator's Update with the new usb drivers? For some reason this doesn't seem to have caught the attention of audiophiles. I have a suspicion it plays a part in why my cheap dac sounds as good as it does. I also noticed my Dragonfly sound quality went up as well. Only real feedback has been from one of the Jplay designers and the Fidelizer guy. Both acknowledge it's a step up, though the latter still prefers his OEM.
Just installing Win 10 on a Thinkpad - do I then need to do the Creator's update or are the native UAC2 drivers part of the standard installation?
I'll compare it to my Win 7 Dell later
The Creator's update is new so you'll probably have to do it after standard installation. Or it may automatically detect and update if you're connected to internet while installing.
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251
wushuliu

Post by wushuliu »

This silly cheap DAC has had a little work done. Replaced the main caps which does adds some refinement. Last night I added
A LT3045 5v power supply. These super low noise supplies just get smaller and smaller! So small I just have it tacked to the bottom of
The dac and powered by a cheap wallwart. Result is even lower noise. Everything I have read regarding PCM2704 DACs points to it being an okay But not great chip, and it does have its shortcomings. But I also think all its implementations were assessed before usb cleaning became a thing. With an iSilencer, Windows 10 new drivers, and now this external power there is a touch of magic in there for so little.
Hifime Es9038Pro
3eaudio TPA3251