Another interesting r2r dac

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
abraxalito

Re: Another interesting r2r dac

Post by abraxalito »

rickmcinnis wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 pm A company using a SOEKRIS DAC in a lovely box wold be the definition of using other folk's stuff and doing nothing more than aggrandizing it.
The internal wiring of that DAC to my eyes looked less than to a professional standard as it was tie-wrapped together in a few places but not anchored to the box in any way and looked to be of fairly thick gauge. The kind of wiring an average DIYer might do but not commensurate with the price point. Still, the DAC wasn't the subject of the review.
I am thinking the imaging filter will be a bigger aspect of the AUDIO-GD's performance than with the SOEKRIS due to the SOEKRIS oversampled version of non-oversampling or do you, abraxalito, think they are similar in that regard?
Given that the Soekris is doing NOS in an oversampled manner my gut says they'd be pretty similar - both would benefit from having a fairly steep filter.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I doubt anyone will argue that "synchronicity" would be a great thing especially if the chain from "player" to DAC was playing to the same metronome.

One of those things that is fun to dream about. If we could get about one thousand times more people interested in high quality audio there might be enough of a potential market for this.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

abaraxalito,

I had those same impressions about the build quality.

I know the article was ostensibly about the player but I thought I read more about the DAC than the player.

Any chance of a blog entry on your new imaging filter? I would like to give it a try.

Take care,
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Attached power to one of the AUDIO-GD dacs yesterday.

Only two of the electrolytics have 3.3 volts across them. One of the caps has 1.8 v. and the remaining show no voltage at all
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

5 bucks says you forgot to power the shift registers
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I owe you lots more than five!

I did not do anything other than connect the battery to the plus and minus terminals. I have had a hard time with those "instructions" at their website.

I will go look again and try to figure out what I missed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
See that there are TWO 3.3 inputs! So I presume that settles the fact all but one of the caps on the board are for the 3.3 volts supply.

Have you removed yours yet?

I will be removing them.

Makes me wonder if there could be any advantage to using a battery for each rail?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

5 mins with a continuity test on your dmm will tell you lots about this board

taking the electrolytics out with lifepo4 is sure worth trying

doubt paralleling batteries will help much
maybe add separate power + wires to shift registers into where the electrolytics were
who knows

output stage will be key i think

ive done nothing since
trying to get a push on with the gb amps, thats gonna take priority for a while
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

And that makes sense. Best to get that BIG project out of the way!
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

For fun I went to the LOSSLOSS website and see if we get four people together to buy the LAMINAR STREAMER SD card player we can get them for 10% less. How often do you get a chance to "save" $9100.00. I guess those are US dollars. Would be better if they were Australian ...

I guess we should organize a group buy?

On another subject I asked Kingwa at AUDIO-GD about filters on the output of the DAC and he said he only uses first order filters. He said with higher orders you get a warmer sound and less transparency. So, he will not be using more complicated filters within his own assembled offerings.

I ordered a few of his "Class A" regulators. You can get them almost any way you want. They may end up being the best battery chargers for the money. There are two outputs and you can have them at any of the voltages he offers and either polarity. I am getting a couple wih two +3.3 volts rails. Will clean up my DAC and SDTrans power supplies.

Will let it be known how well they work once received.
wyan

Post by wyan »

Hi, guys, so how is the R2R by audio-gd compared to the one by soekris? Thanks.