It's always the simple things

Diapason

It's always the simple things

Post by Diapason »

I've been concerned recently that the soundstage in the nerd cave always seems to be shifted to the left. Now, I don't think I hear as well in my right ear as in my left so I had been putting it down to that, especially since the problem seemed to be a lack of "air" on the right hand side, affecting higher frequencies more than lower. Still it was annoying, and having listened to other systems and hearing the image well-centred I started to convince myself that something was up. The problem began around the time I got the new amp (the Mark Levinson 432), so that seemed the likely culprit, especially since a different source (Bluesound) was giving the same effect of left-leaning soundstage.

I had the house to myself for a while yesterday so decided I'd investigate, and I started by swapping the R-L cables coming out of the CDP, and swapping the speaker cables at the amp (so the left channel of the amp would amplify the information on the right, and vice versa, but the correct information would ultimately go to the correct speaker). No difference at all, nada, soundstage still shifted left, not the amp's fault. I moved speakers this way and that, adjusted toe and tilt and distance, still no change.

Concerned that it might be a problem with the speakers themselves, I was mentally preparing for the more physical task of moving them around when I thought "there's an awful lot of stuff in this room". Stuff like boxes of books, boxes of wine (awaiting drinking), boxes of beer bottles (which I've stopped drinking for the time being), old computers, screens, and other miscellaneous crap. It's built up over time, but the addition of a harpsichord at the rear of the room has made matters way worse. Anyway, all the clutter was on the right hand side since that's where I don't walk, and it struck me that it might be working as absorption of sorts. Some attempts at "clutter equalisation" got rid of the problem immediately, the image centred again and a proper amount of air returned to the right channel. Sorry Mark Levinson, I should never have doubted you.

There are 2 lessons here:
1) symmetry in a small listening room is important for imaging;
2) alcohol should be consumed immediately, never stored.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Derek

Re: It's always the simple things

Post by Derek »

lesson 1; I've not encountered.
lesson 2; I'll never encounter.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

2) alcohol should be consumed immediately, never stored.

Perish the thought!
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

A man cave is not a wine cellar. Bottles for immediate or near immediate consumption may be stored there but even then equally distributed behind speakers.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ivor, you'll be glad to hear that they'd been moved from the area under the stairs where they've spent the last 10 years to encourage more immediate consumption. It's working too!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:16 pm Ivor, you'll be glad to hear that they'd been moved from the area under the stairs where they've spent the last 10 years to encourage more immediate consumption. It's working too!
If there's anything I can do to help just let me know.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mick

Post by mick »

Derek wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:21 pm lesson 1; I've not encountered.
lesson 2; I'll never encounter.
You are right Derek.
I could never understand how people ask how to store wine in the bottle after opening.
I have never ever had that problem.