USB isolator tour

jkeny

Re: USB isolator tour

Post by jkeny »

Sloop John B wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 pm Due to am impending house move next week (for renovation) I'll have to give up my place on the list and if builders make good time I might just catch the ends of the tour in October?
.sjb
No problem - builders always take twice as long, so don't hold your breathe

Anybody else?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

jkeny wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm This could work as part of your downgraded audio system - small computer, ISO-DAC & powered speakers - neat, simple but with good sound.
Could indeed be the way forward. I'm dragging my feet a little on the downgrade, though. Struggling to pull the trigger there.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Think it's worth pointing out that these devices will have far more impact on the run of the mill USB audio equipment
Micro rendu, nuc , PC, laptop, beaglebone etc
than it will with heavily modified audio pcs
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:35 am Think it's worth pointing out that these devices will have far more impact on the run of the mill USB audio equipment
Yes, Nige, exactly so - the audible improvement with lesser quality sources will be greater.

Having said that, the improvement in sound quality with high refined sources is unmistakably audible in the areas of timbre.

If people think that these USB isolation/cleansing devices are only for systems with hum or ground noise problems then they are mistaken - some put their ear to the speaker, hear no noise & believe that therefore their reproduction is perfect. We have often sat in Tony's listening to a system & saying it can't get much better than this because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound & being surprised that a new device brings us an even better illusion of realism.

People can only judge these things for themselves by listening which is why I setup a tour - to allow some people to hear if & what audible improvement this ISO-HUB can make in their system
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am
jkeny wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 pm This could work as part of your downgraded audio system - small computer, ISO-DAC & powered speakers - neat, simple but with good sound.
Could indeed be the way forward. I'm dragging my feet a little on the downgrade, though. Struggling to pull the trigger there.
That's what happens when you look for advice on audio forums about giving up the hobby (addiction) - the addicts are enablers of other addicts - thought you knew this?

And by this definition, I'm a pusher & an addict :)
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well to my mind an upgrade to a uptone ISO Regen and ultracap
They obviously haven't realised that regulating after the power banks is a bad idea
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm Well to my mind an upgrade to a uptone ISO Regen and ultracap
They obviously haven't realised that regulating after the power banks is a bad idea
Not many do - they don't realise that there's more to this than what's in the datasheets. I reckon that there are a number of factors, the two main ones being very low noise (particularly at low frequencies) & stability when delivering currents in bursts which is a characteristic of power delivery to digital devices - they suck lots of current in high speed bursts

This guy also realises it in his response to RickMcinnis here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ost5057266
I have read all the posts on this thread with interest as I have been trying out powering one of my DACs by battery.

The first thing I have to say is I have tried various ADM7150 and LT3042 and other lower noise regulator power supply kits but none of them get close in terms of sound quality to a LiFePo4 battery.

The second thing is what Rick says about capacitors on the power rails between the battery and chip doing more harm than good is absolutely correct. The improvement in sound quality after they have been removed is not subtle at all - clearer mids, deeper bass, cleaner top end, wider soundstage etc.
www.Ciunas.biz
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm
nige2000 wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:35 am Think it's worth pointing out that these devices will have far more impact on the run of the mill USB audio equipment
Yes, Nige, exactly so - the audible improvement with lesser quality sources will be greater.

Having said that, the improvement in sound quality with high refined sources is unmistakably audible in the areas of timbre.

If people think that these USB isolation/cleansing devices are only for systems with hum or ground noise problems then they are mistaken - some put their ear to the speaker, hear no noise & believe that therefore their reproduction is perfect. We have often sat in Tony's listening to a system & saying it can't get much better than this because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound & being surprised that a new device brings us an even better illusion of realism.

People can only judge these things for themselves by listening which is why I setup a tour - to allow some people to hear if & what audible improvement this ISO-HUB can make in their system
If you think it would be useful John you could bring it over to my room... bog standard ACER PC with external HD running USB into a Ciunas DAC into a pre amp. Basic use of digital files but I do lean toward higher bitrate.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm
jkeny wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm

If you think it would be useful John you could bring it over to my room... bog standard ACER PC with external HD running USB into a Ciunas DAC into a pre amp. Basic use of digital files but I do lean toward higher bitrate.
It would be good to get your impressions of the sound so I'll arrange something over the weekend if that suits you?
www.Ciunas.biz
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Had a glorious afternoon listening to some great music and have grown really fond of this added hardware in my system, so much so I am at pains to part with it now.
Anyway a special request John, would you build a one off in advance of release for me at full one off build costs, you know I mean that?

Looks like it will be a while longer before I see the ISO Regen as I did not make the group for first shipping, seems a strong track record of past purchases (i did buy a Regen off Uptone) added to number of posts on the forum trumped me being in the first 10 to commit to a purchase, sad days but that seems to be the way of the world these days.

Anyway back to happier things, really enjoying the USB Isolator now and it has gelled really well with my system.
Recent changes with new WTFPlay and some tweaking with blinds on the Raidho tweeters has allowed me an almost transcendental afternoon of listening, I even immensely enjoyed listening to Sade greatest hits!

For those who shun Sade listen to the drums and percussion as there is an Irish guy now long gone called Dave Early playing drums and percussion on many of her tracks who was a master and a lunatic at the same time, spent some mad illicitly fueled times with the man some years back at gigs in Sligo where he played and in after hours parties. He had some stories to tell of life on the road with Van Morrison and the sessions in London with Sade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijiJ5oNts4