Lithics ...

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Lithics ...

Post by mcq »

I think this is a really important young band.  I haven't yet been able to track down their debut CD, Borrowed Floors, but it is freely available online and I have been devouring it hungrily. It may well be only available on vinyl and digitally.  I have posted links below to both the album as well as various live performances.

Musically, this band reminds me strongly of the rhythm section in Gang of Four as well as the guitar work featured on The Pop Group's and The Birthday Party's seminal recordings.  There are references to Wire and The Fall in this music as well.  But, primarily, the instrumental roots of this music go back to the angular, jagged, dissoant riffs of Beefheart and the immortal incarnation of his Magic Band that featured on Trout Mask Replica and Lick My Decals Off, Baby.  This is music that repays the closest attention.  Every note is carefully weighed and measured and made to count.  Nothing is there simply to impress or to dazzle.  This is a remarkably well-drilled band with a sense of cohesion that is almost telepathic in their collective levels of communication and understanding.  This is riveting, bracingly innovative music from a band that, I am sure, will continue to startle and surprise as their career develops.  

The album, Borrowed Floors:  

The session with KEXP:  

Assorted live performances:

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Re: Lithics ...

Post by cybot »

By your description they sound like someone I'd really like. Will listen later and get back to you. Thanks Paul!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Oh what a fantastic band! Can't believe they're American. A minimalistic punk band that remind me of all the bands you've mentioned plus one in particular - Young Marble Giants and especially the dead pan vocals of Allison Stratton. My all time favourite from that heady era and then some. The guitar playing is angular and just flippin' stunning! I've already ordered the vinyl :) I've said it before and I'll say it again: you just can't beat guitar, bass and drums. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thanks again Paul....
mcq

Post by mcq »

I'm delighted that you like them, Dermot. I think they are really, really special. They are ploughing somewhat of a lonely furrow musically which means that they will need a lot of passionate advocacy to progress from the Portland art punk scene and get the attention they sorely deserve. That KEXP session includes material from their upcoming album which will hopefully get a wider distribution internationally. A support slot with the likes of Swans or Savages and and a few notable mentions in The Wire would bring them a whole new audience. Hopefully they will get the luck and the breaks that they deserve.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 11:32 am I'm delighted that you like them, Dermot. I think they are really, really special. They are ploughing somewhat of a lonely furrow musically which means that they will need a lot of passionate advocacy to progress from the Portland art punk scene and get the attention they sorely deserve. That KEXP session includes material from their upcoming album which will hopefully get a wider distribution internationally. A support slot with the likes of Swans or Savages and and a few notable mentions in The Wire would bring them a whole new audience. Hopefully they will get the luck and the breaks that they deserve.
No thanks to you of course! While I was whiling away the morning I couldn't help thinking that they won't be around for long unless something along the lines of your suggestions above come to fruition. Here's hoping I'm wrong and they get the breaks they deserve....