For lovers of Bach's cantatas

Seán

For lovers of Bach's cantatas

Post by Seán »

Here is a wonderful web site: : http://www.bach-cantatas.com/
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Re: For lovers of Bach's cantatas

Post by Seán »

Bump.

I got fed up looking for it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Fine Bump sir!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Fine Bump sir!
Thanks Simon.
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

And might I suggest this to accompany the web site? I bought this for about 100 euro a couple of years back and am working my way through them... but slowly for they are far too wonderful to be rushed.
Attachments
cantata.jpg
cantata.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Seán

Post by Seán »

Many thanks for the recommendation, but I have my heart set on my eventually getting the Gardiner set.

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Gardiner set hasn't gone up in price as I thought it would. It's a marvellous purchase.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Seán wrote:Many thanks for the recommendation, but I have my heart set on my eventually getting the Gardiner set.
To be sure, it appears that the Gardiner set has more polished singing, better sound, and better orchestral playing. The Harnoncourt/Leonhardt cycle is from earlier in the period revival movement so you get some occasional ropey playing (e.g. trumpets) and sometimes the soloists struggle. But I love the sound of the boys voices on the upper lines 'as Bach would have heard it' and when you get a really good treble (as in Peter Jelosits in BWV68), it is truly sublime.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Abminor wrote:
Seán wrote:Many thanks for the recommendation, but I have my heart set on my eventually getting the Gardiner set.
To be sure, it appears that the Gardiner set has more polished singing, better sound, and better orchestral playing. The Harnoncourt/Leonhardt cycle is from earlier in the period revival movement so you get some occasional ropey playing (e.g. trumpets) and sometimes the soloists struggle. But I love the sound of the boys voices on the upper lines 'as Bach would have heard it' and when you get a really good treble (as in Peter Jelosits in BWV68), it is truly sublime.

Finances permiting [not always possible I know] any serious Bach collection should have both sets in it. When one listens carefully you realize how much Gardiner got from the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt approach; it is quite interesting.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra