Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by nige2000 »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DSD-STM ... 0.0.wFSdTF

not as convenient as a pc but bang for buck this is the business, id bet you'd have a lot of cash buried in an audio pc before it would sound as good as this gadget

this is the one ive been waiting on for quite a while
this uses audio frequency oscillators as system clock 22/24 on the arm chip so fully and natively synchronised
probably the lowest noise i2s source youll ever have
at the very least an i2s reference point

modding will be simple
3.3v bypassing the 5v reg
oscillator upgrade to better oscillators
potato 374 reclocking flip flop

i think the way to approach that is to remove old oscillators,
get a 374 ff put it on an adapterboard mount the new clocks to it somehow
connect up to the sd card players i2s output bck/lrclk/data/mclk
run wires from old oscillator oe pads to oe pins on new oscillators
connect up dac and power and your done
a very simple mod
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sebna

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by sebna »

Nige would they have CF card player like this? It should sound even better then SD!
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sebna wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am Nige would they have CF card player like this? It should sound even better then SD!
hi Seb
where u been hiding? :)
its not something ive seen anywhere yet, sd seems to be the drive of choice, i doubt these things are built with audiophiles in mind..
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Interesting. My Singxer USB to SPDIF converter has an I2S input. Trial when you're ready!!
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jrling

Post by jrling »

I hope for that money they at least give you a full 10 lesson course in Mandarin, so you can operate the screen!

Looks like a seriously good project with the mods you suggest.

The SD card player concept always appeals, in that it gets shot of all the PC/USB baggage that only adds noise and confusion to the signal, and uses a completely dedicated music player OS effectively. But for one reason or another, they don't seem to quite shine how they should? You have tried others. So it will be interesting to compare how the system clocks improve things.

For ultimate SQ, others' experience with SD cards for storing the music files, is that the more expensive industrial SLC type are noticeably better than the standard MLC type.

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Bought one to try, hopefully I'll have it in a month or so.

This and a TDA1387 dac could make a nice little package.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jrling wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:05 pm I hope for that money they at least give you a full 10 lesson course in Mandarin, so you can operate the screen!
its just whatever the filenames are so if thats in english thats what it says
Looks like a seriously good project with the mods you suggest.

The SD card player concept always appeals, in that it gets shot of all the PC/USB baggage that only adds noise and confusion to the signal, and uses a completely dedicated music player OS effectively. But for one reason or another, they don't seem to quite shine how they should? You have tried others. So it will be interesting to compare how the system clocks improve things.
this one will be best, its the most simplest and low part count, the whole thing works on one clock at the respective audio frequency and i2s direct from the arm chip
For ultimate SQ, others' experience with SD cards for storing the music files, is that the more expensive industrial SLC type are noticeably better than the standard MLC type.

Cheers
Jonathan
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Also have one winging its way to me. Small money and worth the experiment.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

thats great... a few of us will be able to compare notes so
gstew

Post by gstew »

I picked up one of these last summer, along with another SD Card player that was a bit less complex than the one you first played with, Nige.

Neither have bubbled to the top of my project list yet.

Will be interested in how they work for y'all!

Greg in Mississippi