Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by jkeny »

Thanks, Pearse for your update on your SD card player - sounds very interesting
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
seeteeyou

Post by seeteeyou »

FYI - here's a brand new PSU (285 RMB) for that SD3.75 reference digital turntable

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=614208858815
http://www.headphoneclub.com/thread-736312-1-1.html

BTW, is this SDSDQED-064G-XI card actually SLC or just (rubbish) pSLC? I certainly hope that Mouser kinda screwed things up (pSLC in the description and then SLC in their specifications) or something

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sa ... SQUA%3D%3D
https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... icrosd.pdf
https://documents.westerndigital.com/co ... pdf#page=4

So many Apacer fans on Audiophile Style are loving their wide-temperature RAM and just wondering if similar industrial-grade SD cards were also worth a try, pretty darn good deal to get 64GB for 94 bucks.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Improved power supply did not seem to improve sound noticeably here but I have noticed with an 8v super capacitor supply the regulator near the SD and main chip gets warm in use so i might look to bypass this with a direct supply to see if there will be any improvement.

Going direct i2s off pins on the input side of the LVDS chip and bypassing the on board clocks with the A Morei clocks was a good improvement, i would say the clocks are the main contributor here.
Sounds amazing going through Nige DAC at the moment.

Those pSLC and Apacer Industrial grade cards do not seem to get to where a proper SLC card gets you. I have an Apacer Industrial Card and it does not show any noticeable improvement for me so I am sticking with SLC.

Post by tims »

Deleted
Last edited by tims on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

tims wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:15 pm Hi all

TirNaOg put me on to this sd player thread and I would love to get one to try out. Only problem is is that my DAC doesn't have an I2S input (namely USB, S/PDIF and optical) so I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I could use this player to mate with my DAC?

I can't find much in the way of say an I2S to S/PDIF converter but would anyone know of perhaps another sd card player that has additional outputs or perhaps something from allo.com that I could use that wouldn't compromise the SQ quality of this sd card player?

Thanks
Hi Tims :)
I think Ian Canada over on DIY audio has a good I2S to Spdif board with options to upgrade & bypass regs etc.
https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDo ... portPi.jpg

you can email him here: iancanada.mail@gmail.com or by diyAudio Private Messages

cheers
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

tims wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:15 pm I can't find much in the way of say an I2S to S/PDIF converter
Something like this, which is used to create an S/PDIF output for a RPi would work I reckon : https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... t=4#detail
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

My instinct says that part of the magic of this solution is creating a simple path where the SD Player (running with good clocks and clean power) generates an I2S signal, reclocked with a potato semi FF (at least thats what I do) and you feed that signal though short wires directly into an appropriate DAC.

So while where are options to convert from I2S to something that your dac can use, you may not get an optimal playback system.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

randytsuch wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:49 pm My instinct says that part of the magic of this solution is creating a simple path where the SD Player (running with good clocks and clean power) generates an I2S signal, reclocked with a potato semi FF (at least thats what I do) and you feed that signal though short wires directly into an appropriate DAC.

So while where are options to convert from I2S to something that your dac can use, you may not get an optimal playback system.
I agree, randy, KISS seems to be where the magic lies
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tims

Post by tims »

Received my sd player a few days ago and hooked it up to convert to spdif output (using an old perpetuel technology P-1A unit) but have problems.
The player fires up alright and shows the selected track playing but the P-1A is showing inactive/unlocked on it's I2S input - I've double checked the I2S wiring from the player to the P-1A and it's configured correctly as far as I can tell.
Only thing that appears amiss is the LED bottom left of the display is showing the colour red rather than the green I've seen in other photo's. Could this be indicating something wrong?

Cheers
Last edited by tims on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

You have me stumped on the red light, you would think with all the tinkering we did i would have an answer but i cannot think of what that would be.
I expect someone might come along and remind me!

Do you definitely have 5v in?
Maybe try adding a ground on the the furthest left pin!