Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by Fran »

Red light means something IIRC. Does it read the track OK and "appear" to play? playback bar moving etc?

Only other thing I can think of is there any chance of a lose connection from SD player to DAC? Red light won't refer to this though, it will only be related to something on the player side of things.
Do or do not, there is no try
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

Sligolad wrote:You have me stumped on the red light, you would think with all the tinkering we did i would have an answer but i cannot think of what that would be.
I expect someone might come along and remind me!

Do you definitely have 5v in?
Maybe try adding a ground on the the furthest left pin!
@tims When I start mine up the red light comes on regularly. Pressing the top left button reboots the card, then the directory comes up in screen and I can press play. Probably means something is wrong with card or the directory. Have you tried other cards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tims

Post by tims »

Thanks for your replies. Made some progress by adding the ground wire on the I2S as suggested and it started working!

I changed my I2S to s/pdif converter to iancanada's fifo and s/pdif interface boards and it's sounding good but there's still a problem; the player intermittantly shuts down during a track and either reboots by itself (after 20-30 seconds) or I have to use the restart button.
Sometimes it works fine for 20-30 minutes then craps out, other times it can stop several times in a 5 minute period.

Input voltage is OK; the music files are on a 32Gb SDHC cl.10 card
I've contacted the ali express seller but he's not too communicative as yet so I'll continue to work on it. Several people have mentioned it doesn't like certain sd cards - do these intermittant stopages sound like it could be the card?
And the damn red LED continues to shine.... 🙂

Cheers
seeteeyou

Post by seeteeyou »

This interface called ElectroTos could be quite promising, maybe our project to create a web interface for SD Card Player ain't necessary anymore?

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/blog/category/products
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... nt-1057981
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... nt-1059349
Wow ! This is a really groundbreaking product IMO. The sound quality is remarkable, nothing like anything I have heard before. Agree 100% with Norton's feedback. I will be conducting some comparison in the coming weeks, but it is obvious that we have something very special here.
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

tims wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 pm
I changed my I2S to s/pdif converter to iancanada's fifo and s/pdif interface boards and it's sounding good but there's still a problem; the player intermittantly shuts down during a track and either reboots by itself (after 20-30 seconds) or I have to use the restart button.
Sometimes it works fine for 20-30 minutes then craps out, other times it can stop several times in a 5 minute period.
I have had the exact same problem since getting mine... ''crashes'' to a white screen, reboots after a 20-30 seconds or manually with the button, often it will give ''SD card error!!'' message after pressing reset button and needs to be pressed a few more times to actually get it to reset, I have used 2 different cards in it, both played fine but this issue was always there...
I hope its a not an issue with all of them because I was going to buy a new one under the assumption I got a faulty one
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I know we've seen random white screen crashes here. I often wondered was it something to do with loss of clock signal for a sec (from memory if you power on without the clock you get a white screen. But not sure.
Do or do not, there is no try
abraxalito

Post by abraxalito »

My screen has given up the ghost (except for the backlight) - but still it plays out audio, mostly.
tims

Post by tims »

NUML0G wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:15 am I have had the exact same problem since getting mine... ''crashes'' to a white screen, reboots after a 20-30 seconds or manually with the button, often it will give ''SD card error!!'' message after pressing reset button and needs to be pressed a few more times to actually get it to reset, I have used 2 different cards in it, both played fine but this issue was always there...
I hope its a not an issue with all of them because I was going to buy a new one under the assumption I got a faulty one
Do you also have my problem with the LED (bottom left of screen) always showing red when playing a track? I also intended to order a new one but like yourself am wary about purchasing another after learning this may(?) be a common fault with the player.
Fran wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:59 pm I know we've seen random white screen crashes here. I often wondered was it something to do with loss of clock signal for a sec (from memory if you power on without the clock you get a white screen. But not sure.
I haven't modified my board with a new clock if this is what you mean.
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

tims wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm
NUML0G wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:15 am I have had the exact same problem since getting mine... ''crashes'' to a white screen, reboots after a 20-30 seconds or manually with the button, often it will give ''SD card error!!'' message after pressing reset button and needs to be pressed a few more times to actually get it to reset, I have used 2 different cards in it, both played fine but this issue was always there...
Do you also have my problem with the LED (bottom left of screen) always showing red when playing a track? I also intended to order a new one but like yourself am wary about purchasing another after learning this may(?) be a common fault with the player.
Fran wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:59 pm I know we've seen random white screen crashes here. I often wondered was it something to do with loss of clock signal for a sec (from memory if you power on without the clock you get a white screen. But not sure.
I haven't modified my board with a new clock if this is what you mean.
No, I have not seen a red LED, I dont think.

I have upgraded clocks, it can boot without 44.1x clock connected but wont play 44.1x files, without 48x clock connected It gives a black error screen but not that white screen afaicr.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

FYI, for anyone interested in what should be a clock upgrade to this and/or a dac, Andrea group buy in progress
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-b ... uy-53.html

Its somewhat complicated, bunch of options, and you need to pick the right crystal type and frequency for the clock board.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones