Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by Fran »

Any chance you could post a pic of the switch implementation?
Do or do not, there is no try
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

Fran wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:58 pm Any chance you could post a pic of the switch implementation?
You mean a switch for the display?
It was only a cut trace to test it so far.
All you need to do is cut anywhere along red line and add a switch between the cuts, if you want to keep IR sensor and indicator LED you would need to make another cut at green line and feed the power there with a wire as they get power after the display.

Also know that it needs to rebooted to get the display to work again after its repowered
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (73.78 KiB) Viewed 522 times
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

A couple more tweaks

First is bypassing the mux on LRCLK.
I think this mux switches something for DSD or PCM playback, not sure, but for PCM you can bypass the LRCLK from the bottom right pin and output it direct (i added a termination resistor for it aswell). I made this change and forgot about it, I'm not sure how much difference it made... prob not much.

Second is converting the audio files to WAV format, this made a very noticeable difference and sounds really good, kind of tedious and memory is already limited but impressive for a ''soft'' mod.

Another thing I want to try is providing clean external power source for the USB card reader+SD card during writing.
On CA there was talk about the ''quality'' of copies made on SSDs and HDD in a PC, that electrical conditions during copying influence the final ''quality'' of the stored data.
Not sure about that, but if there is any truth to it it would apply ten fold to a basic memory technology like SD.
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

tims wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm
Do you also have my problem with the LED (bottom left of screen) always showing red when playing a track? I also intended to order a new one but like yourself am wary about purchasing another after learning this may(?) be a common fault with the player.
Do you still have this problem? always a red light when playing but otherwise fine?

It may simply be that the dual LED was soldered in backwards, which would light red when it should be green and vice versa
tims

Post by tims »

NUML0G wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am
tims wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm
Do you also have my problem with the LED (bottom left of screen) always showing red when playing a track? I also intended to order a new one but like yourself am wary about purchasing another after learning this may(?) be a common fault with the player.
Do you still have this problem? always a red light when playing but otherwise fine?

It may simply be that the dual LED was soldered in backwards, which would light red when it should be green and vice versa
Yes, it's still displaying red when playing a track - that hasn't changed.
Not sure why there is a dual LED there - does your LED ever go red or stays permanently green?
NUML0G

Post by NUML0G »

The only time i was aware of a red LED was recently when the display was unpowered, it would occasionally show red after a reboot but that was an inconsistent trigger so still clueless as to what condition will actually trigger red consistently.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I gather that green = all good, red = fault

If you get a white screen, that always has a red LED lit up.
Derek

Post by Derek »

I kinda’ remember someone mentioning that a outside remote could on occasion interfere with the reader. Maybe a neighbour or somebody in the house using a car or a stereo or alarm remote. Not every time but enough to make you wonder just what’s wrong with the SD card reader.
Or was that the other way around
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
tapatrick

Post by tapatrick »

Derek wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm I kinda’ remember someone mentioning that a outside remote could on occasion interfere with the reader. Maybe a neighbour or somebody in the house using a car or a stereo or alarm remote. Not every time but enough to make you wonder just what’s wrong with the SD card reader.
Or was that the other way around
The remote on my PS Audio DAC would often reboot, or stop the music on the SD card player when adjusting volume. So it could be that some signal is interfering in this case.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah, I noticed something similar, working a different remote control picked up by the SD card player.