Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 pm
nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 pm
jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm Yea, I saw those Nige but the Taobao version is $110 Vs €130 + €35 shipping from Aliexpress

Abrax/Richard's girlfriend will do some Taobao consultancy/buying for people, I believe?
If people want to go the taobao route PM me or Richard for details
wed likely find home for 3 or 4 of them without the ps- transformer and dac if that can be done
id be surprised if this isnt the new standard of digital audio
I think that's what Richard wanted to do too - get SD player + case but no transformer or DAC
Buying 3 or 4 of them would make negotiating with the seller easier, i reckon
its easier for us that's heard it to commit to a box
maybe wait and see if anyone else is up for it and try get a quote for x amount ?
id like to think it be less than half price though....
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm in for that deal.

I have a logitech learning remote......
Do or do not, there is no try
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:45 pm
jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 pm
nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 pm

wed likely find home for 3 or 4 of them without the ps- transformer and dac if that can be done
id be surprised if this isnt the new standard of digital audio
I think that's what Richard wanted to do too - get SD player + case but no transformer or DAC
Buying 3 or 4 of them would make negotiating with the seller easier, i reckon
its easier for us that's heard it to commit to a box
maybe wait and see if anyone else is up for it and try get a quote for x amount ?
id like to think it be less than half price though....
Remember too that Wendy (Richard's girlfriend) sends it via DHL so no long wait but low shipping prices plus she can declare it low value so possibly no customs charges?
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

was doing a bit of testing earlier with it,
its amazing how the sd card seems louder,
noise floor is lower
dynamic range greater
and micro detail is more distinguishable than usb solutions
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

I'm worried about the UI, and the lack of remote, so it would be great if we could figure out a way to improve it.

I'd help in whatever way I could.

Still waiting for my sd player.

One thing that's not clear to me is how to select which clock frequency to use to clock the potato ff?

I expect the sd player has logic on it to select the correct clock?

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

randytsuch wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 am I'm worried about the UI, and the lack of remote, so it would be great if we could figure out a way to improve it.

When you hear it you will want to pursue this further
One thing that's not clear to me is how to select which clock frequency to use to clock the potato ff?

Randy
Yea, the ARM processor sends out the enable signal to whichever clock should be used for the playback - when the existing clocks on the board are removed (carefully) there's one solder pad for each clock which is where the enable signal is taken from & brought to the correct enable pins on each clock on the Potato reclocker board
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

ok cool, that sounds easy enough.

I'd probably go for a player, if the price is good.

Also, I think I could read the remote codes through a pi or an arduino with an ir reader connected, I should have a reader somewhere.
I was going to do this for another project, but found another way to do what I wanted.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

randytsuch wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 am ok cool, that sounds easy enough.

I'd probably go for a player, if the price is good.

Also, I think I could read the remote codes through a pi or an arduino with an ir reader connected, I should have a reader somewhere.
I was going to do this for another project, but found another way to do what I wanted.

Randy
Right, you mean the fully cased version? Would you want the full version which contains mains input transformer PS & 4495 DAC i.e a fully working SD DAC or without the trafo & 4495 DAC - you install your own DAC?

I came across this open source software which might be usable as the user interface - it is written in java & the code can be changed for our needs
https://521dimensions.com/open-source/a ... s/examples
Any Java programmers here?

The way I see something like this working is to have a music library app which builds the library of albums, artists, tracks, cover art & whatever else we consider worthwhile & a function which allows us to copy this library into separate album folders on the SD card. This is the initial loading of the audio library onto the SD card.

Then we have an app (on PC/phone/tablet) which browses the folders on the SD card, displaying the cover art, tracks that it finds in each folder & allow us to select track & play

Currently there are 5 buttons on the SD player:
- Up, Down, Left, Right, Play/Stop & Reset - so these are the remote control functions we are limited to

So we just need to translate navigation using the UI on the PC/phone/etc into the correct button IR codes to be sent to the SD player

it's a bit of a hack but it could work fairly seamlessly with a bit of care! The interface should feel as close as possible to using the music player on locally stored library. if we add a new album to the library it could send this to a new folder on the SD card via WiFi

With the SD player card there is a max card size of 32Gb - with the cased up version I believe the max size card is 64Gb
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

BTW, I already have Java scripts on the Flashair SD card which allow it to be a station on my LAn & I can access the SD card & browse through its folders & upload/download a file. I can even play WAV files on my PC which are being streamed from the SD card player.

I can provide the necessary files to load on the Flashair SD card when people are ready
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 am
randytsuch wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 am I'm worried about the UI, and the lack of remote, so it would be great if we could figure out a way to improve it.

When you hear it you will want to pursue this further

Randy
Yea, the ARM processor sends out the enable signal to whichever clock should be used for the playback - when the existing clocks on the board are removed (carefully) there's one solder pad for each clock which is where the enable signal is taken from & brought to the correct enable pins on each clock on the Potato reclocker board
the mods dont change the way it works in any way, the clocks are simply upgraded and moved to an adopter board with a ff on it which should be the most accurate place to clock it from

with all the talk of "convenience" we will lose belief of this sd cards audiophile potential?