Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 am was thinking about that when fran mentioned the ndk sda model was also for sale at diyinhk circa 11usd
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/ ... lator.html

truth is there is also natural variation in the batches, so its kinda the luck of the draw
there was a guy selling measured ndk clocks, cant remember the name but you pay for the service and the ones that go in the bin/thrash
think rickmcinnis got some of them before

sometime i wonder are we reaching for the high hanging fruit before we pick the low hanging fruit
Jocko was the guy but he no longer measures & sorts clocks, AFAIK?
I believe the NDK SDA are the equivalent of his sorted/selected clocks but would like to see actual SDA measurements to conform?

Nige is dead on with that SD player - just uses two audio clocks - uses one of these for system clock for the ARM processor - so synchronous clocking & simplicity has probably a lot to do with stupendous, relaxed & detailed sound - I have it running with SDAs on Potato reclocker

One thing that might interest - I recently came across SD cards which now have WiFi built in - this looks the best so I got one - 32Gb Toshiba Flashair w-04 (fastest read/writes & programmable). Works beautifully & no sonic impact from RFI from WiFi circuit. Can read/write to card while playing audio - no impact.

Opens up possibilities for control of SD player from anything that can connect to wifi - PC/phone/tablet

BTW, the SD card has an infrared receiver chip beside the screen so once we find the key codes we can control from a remote.

Oh & for the ones who want a finished product here's the same SD player (slightly different - takes 64Gb cards & laid out differently) cased up with a 4495 DAC nicely cased for $110
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... t=3#detail

Looks nice + remote control
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

sebna wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am Nige would they have CF card player like this? It should sound even better then SD!
Hey Seb,
haven't heard from you since you got the ISO-DAC - how's ISO-HUB/DAC sounding?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

the potato chips arrived here today for this.... theyre looking lonely waiting for the other bits which are somewhere between China and here.
Do or do not, there is no try
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/220V-11 ... autifyAB=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC220V- ... autifyAB=0

theres another two on aliexpress

yea this sd card system is definitely a keeper
the potato flipflop reclocker is also excellent
definitely the most excited ive been in digital audio in a few years
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

BTW, for those interested, this player handles DSD files - it seems to pass through raw DSD i.e not convert to I2S

The user interface is probably why SD card players have not made it into mainstream audiophile world as they do sound very good - I played around with some years ago but never got over/around the UI - this is possibly different & worth some effort

I was talking to Nige about how I think this could be made more user friendly - requires a bit of work but probably not that much

A smartphone can be made into an IR remote with a small device plugged into it & with a web based music player connected via WiFi to this SD player could be a nice front end for control - the screen could be showing a nice interface for navigating the audio files on the SD card & IR codes being sent via the IR transmitter device plugged into the phone
Last edited by jkeny on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, I saw those Nige but the Taobao version is $110 Vs €130 + €35 shipping from Aliexpress

Abrax/Richard's girlfriend will do some Taobao consultancy/buying for people, I believe?
If people want to go the taobao route PM me or Richard for details
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 pm BTW, for those interested, this player handles DSD files - it seems to pass through raw DSD i.e not convert to I2S
suppose direct up to a dsd dac chip then so
The user interface is probably why SD card players have not made it into mainstream audiophile world as they do sound very good - I played around with some years ago but never got over around the UI
i think this ones a lot different to the previous other sd card players, its simplicity and native audio frequency clocking is key
I was talking to Nige about how I think this could be made more user friendly - requires a bit of work but probably not that much

A smartphone can be made into an IR remote with a small device plugged into it & with a web based music player connected via WiFi to this SD player could be a nice front end for control - the screen could be showing a nice interface for navigating the audio files on the SD card & IR codes being sent via the IR transmitter device plugged into the phone
agree it's well worth pursuing, the chinese guys might sell the remote seperate
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, direct to DSD DAC

Getting a remote from one of the Chinese sellers would allow us to find out what IR codes are being sent for each key - using one of those IR learning remotes/tools

Then we could have a sophisticated remote using our smartphone for album art/track list/etc & the IR codes for the keys would be sent to the SD player.
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm Yea, I saw those Nige but the Taobao version is $110 Vs €130 + €35 shipping from Aliexpress

Abrax/Richard's girlfriend will do some Taobao consultancy/buying for people, I believe?
wed likely find home for 3 or 4 of them without the ps- transformer and dac if that can be done
id be surprised if this isnt the new standard of digital audio
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:31 pm
jkeny wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm Yea, I saw those Nige but the Taobao version is $110 Vs €130 + €35 shipping from Aliexpress

wed likely find home for 3 or 4 of them without the ps- transformer and dac if that can be done
id be surprised if this isnt the new standard of digital audio
I think that's what Richard wanted to do too - get SD player + case but no transformer or DAC
Buying 3 or 4 of them would make negotiating with the seller easier, i reckon
www.Ciunas.biz