Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by jkeny »

OK, sorry if I hijacked your thread, Nige but I believe great sound shouldn't require the wearing of hair shirts.
Maybe talk of UI should be hived off into a separate thread?
Last edited by jkeny on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

I was talking with Richard & the Taobao seller of the cased SD player seems not to be interested in supplying it non-stock (without trafo & 4495 DAC board) unless a min of 50 units.

It seems this ebay unit is supplied with remote control even though it's not mentioned or shown in the pics
Ebay auction/product number 122618274108
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm OK, sorry if I hijacked your thread, Nige but I believe great sound shouldn't require the wearing of hair shirts.
Maybe talk of UI should be hived off into a separate thread?
dont mind at all,

with all the sweat and tears (lots of tears and sometimes blood) in extremest computer audio,
the mobo power solutions and clock replacements and inconvenient software
it always seemed we could have sound quality or usability but not both

this sd card player is so direct and simple i dont think theres much more to change besides the ui
theres probably not much going to go on here besides helping guys get setup, and them reporting how good it is

the only people left out is those with good commercial dacs that only take spdif or usb
maybe it be worth trialing one with a spdif output?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Although I haven't heard this player yet , I have heard enough about it to be happy to give it a try. I'm guessing it doesn't have any volume controls, it that correct? I'd prefer the Dac included as I don't think my Hugo is amenable to introduction of I2S, so, John ,if you are pulling together a purchase count me in , for the price it's worth a shot.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm
this sd card player is so direct and simple i dont think theres much more to change besides the ui
theres probably not much going to go on here besides helping guys get setup, and them reporting how good it is
Sure, & mybe at that stage it would be time to start looking into improving the UI?
the only people left out is those with good commercial dacs that only take spdif or usb
maybe it be worth trialing one with a spdif output?
Yea, SPDIF output would be worth checking out & I have a pretty good offering for those with USB only input :)
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:07 pm I was talking with Richard & the Taobao seller of the cased SD player seems not to be interested in supplying it non-stock (without trafo & 4495 DAC board) unless a min of 50 units.

It seems this ebay unit is supplied with remote control even though it's not mentioned or shown in the pics
Ebay auction/product number 122618274108
thats disappointing if they where 50$ a unit thats 2.5k plus shipping

id take a complete stock unit and butcher it if it comes to it
im pretty sure whatever we come up with will replace my audio pc
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ken Moreland wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:04 pm Although I haven't heard this player yet , I have heard enough about it to be happy to give it a try. I'm guessing it doesn't have any volume controls, it that correct? I'd prefer the Dac included as I don't think my Hugo is amenable to introduction of I2S, so, John ,if you are pulling together a purchase count me in , for the price it's worth a shot.
Ken, the Hugo can accept SPDIF input, right? So the basic SD card player with add-on SPDIF output card rather than boxed version might be worth trying out for you?

I'm wondering if a tour of my version (a prototype) of a cased up SD card player with battery power & my Ciunas DAC board giving analogue output & a SPDIF output would be of interest or do people just want to pull the trigger on this $50 device from ebay, themselves?

To be honest, I think this card could be the base for a nice audiophile player - I have some ideas :)
www.Ciunas.biz
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

jkeny wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:13 pm
Ken Moreland wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:04 pm Although I haven't heard this player yet , I have heard enough about it to be happy to give it a try. I'm guessing it doesn't have any volume controls, it that correct? I'd prefer the Dac included as I don't think my Hugo is amenable to introduction of I2S, so, John ,if you are pulling together a purchase count me in , for the price it's worth a shot.
Ken, the Hugo can accept SPDIF input, right? So the basic SD card player with add-on SPDIF output card rather than boxed version might be worth trying out for you?

I'm wondering if a tour of my cased up SD card player with battery power, my Ciunas DAC analogue output & SPDIF output would be of interest or do people just want to pull the trigger on this $50 device from ebay?
John, yes Hugo can accept SPDIF input so that would definitely be worth a listen. The price of the boxed version is worth whatever butchery it has to endure, either to use as a second string Dac or modify to SPDIF output.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i wouldn't put any faith in that akm4495 dac been much good especially oob
the star of the show is the digital side
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

Guess I don't have a choice, but I'm still interested in the complete unit, depending on what kind of price we can get.

The guy probably already does high volume, so we may not get much of a break for a group buy, but doesn't hurt to ask.

On the ui front, I found that I didn't listen to music as much when I had my previous (now broken) sd card player.
It wasn't a conscious thing and there were other factors in my life going on at the time, but I would now attribute at least part of it to the ui of the sd card player, and that it was kind of a pain to use. Same reason my turntable is sitting on a shelf in my garage.

At least this has a remote, and I was just looking at the pics of the complete player, and made some rough measurements.
I think the screen is about 55x70, and would be readable from some distance away. So just the remote and this larger display will help with usability. Add a wifi sd card that you can wirelessly add and delete songs too, and that's a major improvement already.

For a different project, I had figured out how to use optocouplers to simulate a button push on a remote. The opto was connected to a esp8266 based board. If you're not familiar with them, esp's are basically an arduino with built in wifi. So there is also a very brute force approach that would use an opto for each switch, and some type of microcontroller to "push" buttons. But since we have ir, I don't think we'd need to resort to this. Just giving another option.

What we really need is a smart sw guy. I can write simple sw given enough time, but pretty sure this would be well beyond my capabilities.

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones