Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by rickmcinnis »

When i finally got the phonograph working well it wasn't worth the trouble of keeping them both going.

As I mentioned the "clock" kept falling off and after resoldering it numerous times the little board was spoiled. I need to send it back to "Jocko". He says he can place the clock on a board with proper through holes and then I can compare the two. I do admire simplicity and Andreas's setup is the opposite of simplicity

I figured I would wait until something interesting came up.

The SDTrans sounded better than anything I had heard but my digital setup lost resoundingly (could not resist) to the LP.

Not trying to discourage anyone from working at it especially those who do not have a lifetime's worth of LPs.

But there is no question SD is vastly superior to the computer for those who can stand the extra work. Dealing with the SD cards ...

One of these days I will install Andreas's clock onto the SDTrans. I have them I just need to do it.

Hoping the new filtering scheme for the SOEKRIS might make enough of a difference to warrant putting it all back together. I sure do dread dealing with those batteries again! I may risk being pronounced anathema and use AUDIO G_D's regulators instead of the batteries ... I know the batteries are better but i need to revisit the whole thing and see how much better.

Have any of you tried out the new firmware that SOEKRIS has released?

I admire the tenacity of the TIR NA brotherhood. Don't get me wrong!

In the midst of trying to come up with a serious listener's SYNERGY horn setup. If anything good comes of it I will let TIR NA know. I do not intend to use DSP though that is tempting. For digital signals it could be interesting but I cannot abide having to convert. I do use DSP below 150 hz now and will continue to; find it is very useful. One has to be judicious, you can only go so far. And room treatment still has to be done. using a pair of old YAMAHA YDP2006 which uses PCM63s. Sounds just fine in the bass. The Synergy horn will be high passed around 150 hz, too.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

rickmcinnis wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 pm When i finally got the phonograph working well it wasn't worth the trouble of keeping them both going.
Yea, winding that handle on phonographs is tiring :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 pm When i finally got the phonograph working well it wasn't worth the trouble of keeping them both going.

As I mentioned the "clock" kept falling off and after resoldering it numerous times the little board was spoiled. I need to send it back to "Jocko". He says he can place the clock on a board with proper through holes and then I can compare the two. I do admire simplicity and Andreas's setup is the opposite of simplicity

I figured I would wait until something interesting came up.

The SDTrans sounded better than anything I had heard but my digital setup lost resoundingly (could not resist) to the LP.

Not trying to discourage anyone from working at it especially those who do not have a lifetime's worth of LPs.

But there is no question SD is vastly superior to the computer for those who can stand the extra work. Dealing with the SD cards ...

One of these days I will install Andreas's clock onto the SDTrans. I have them I just need to do it.

Hoping the new filtering scheme for the SOEKRIS might make enough of a difference to warrant putting it all back together. I sure do dread dealing with those batteries again! I may risk being pronounced anathema and use AUDIO G_D's regulators instead of the batteries ... I know the batteries are better but i need to revisit the whole thing and see how much better.

Have any of you tried out the new firmware that SOEKRIS has released?

I admire the tenacity of the TIR NA brotherhood. Don't get me wrong!

In the midst of trying to come up with a serious listener's SYNERGY horn setup. If anything good comes of it I will let TIR NA know. I do not intend to use DSP though that is tempting. For digital signals it could be interesting but I cannot abide having to convert. I do use DSP below 150 hz now and will continue to; find it is very useful. One has to be judicious, you can only go so far. And room treatment still has to be done. using a pair of old YAMAHA YDP2006 which uses PCM63s. Sounds just fine in the bass. The Synergy horn will be high passed around 150 hz, too.
i think you forget others have made great leaps of improvements in many many computer modifications far beyond your average pc

i wouldn't be impossible for a pc to be as good or better to some sd card players,
even though its gonna be far more expensive and complicated,
to state usb is the route of all evil or that batteries are troublesome seems like too much of a broad sweeping statement
id question whether youve found the correct implementation or not?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

installed new firmware in soekris too
not sure all is better.... but does seems like theres more resolution
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

After some overly liberal use of the hot air gun, my SD card player wasn't reading cards. On a hunch I thought it might be the card slot itself. I bought a replacement slot on farnell, soldered it on and I'm back in business. The new one is far more sturdy than the original.

http://ie.farnell.com/amphenol/101-0040 ... 7-00001003
Do or do not, there is no try
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

After a few false starts she's sounding good after reclocking. Problems so far have all been with my SMD soldering techniques but I'm improving and learning loads.

Need to start testing now with higher res files than 1644 etc and other dacs.

Huge thanks to Nigel for the education in the ways of SMD 😀
Attachments
413201814121.jpg
413201814121.jpg (146.27 KiB) Viewed 590 times
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Sorted What's happening with the STM system clock - just needed to read the datasheet, duh - there's an internal 16MHz oscillator which acts as system clock when no external system clock connected.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well found John.

I pulled that AS1117 reg off the board too and connected both pads back to 3.3V supply. I do think it adds another bit of clarity. Very happy at how the combo is performing now.....
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Very good, Fran - I must try that

BTW, my SD card that works on high res is Integral 8GB SDHC class 4
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

If you really want to push the boat out, buy an SLC SD card or Sony audiophile SD card :)

The Sony SD audiophile card was mentioned today & I I hadn't seen any graph of reduced noise from Sony but I see thi sthread on head-fi reports a reduction in noise & crisper, clearer sound https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-sr ... rs.755645/

Graph of noise reduction found here https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/688522.html - it seems to do what it says on the tin

I don't think Sony are using SLC NAND memory but rather changing the surrounding electrical components to reduce noise - maybe that's what we are hearing on the SLC cards - the surrounding lower noise components used in delivering SLC industrial level functionality?
www.Ciunas.biz