Moving Coil vs Moving Magnet

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
cybot

Re: Moving Coil vs Moving Magnet

Post by cybot »

Saxman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 am Hi
The Rega Carbon on the cheap deck was okay and certainly one that could be easily listened to.
It lacked the depth and clarity of more expensive cartridges but certainly wouldnt dismiss it.
For the price it is amazing.
Especially on a good turntable it sounds even better. I use a systemdek 3d signature.
Rgds
Alan
I'll pass it on. Thanks Alan!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

This conversation could turn out to be The Clash of The Titans!

Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi
The stylus does not come awayfrom the body.
You need to send it back retip and rebuild for 300.
Compare it to a Dynavector xv1t the want 4k for a exchange total rip off.
Rgds
Alan
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Saxman wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:30 pm Hi
The stylus does not come awayfrom the body.
You need to send it back retip and rebuild for 300.
Compare it to a Dynavector xv1t the want 4k for a exchange total rip off.
Rgds
Alan
I certainly wouldn't/couldn't pay that kind of money for a cartridge. Good to know the stylus doesn't come away from the body.

Not all that familiar with expensive moving magnets, do some of them have replacement styli?

Generally I used to spend around €500 for a moving coil, then as far as I was concerned I made a giant leap to the Dynavector 17D3 (€1,050) at the time. I still have a brand new backup moving coil - Denon DL304 when the time comes and I don't have the dosh!

Will definitely look into more expensive moving magnets, I could then dispense with my head amplifier!

By the way have you heard any of Grado's moving iron cartridges?
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Totally I share your view on costs. The ortofon black 2m has a removeable stylus.Havent heard the grado so cant comment.
Rgd
Alan
cybot

Post by cybot »

I used to have one of the early Grado's. Much later I thought I could improve my trusty Goldring 1000 serious cartridge and went for a Prestige Gold which didn't agree with my then system, sounding way too smooth and lacking very much in airiness and detail.
Actually one of the best affordable mm's I've ever heard is from the Nagaoka range. An MP 110 beauty. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work on my system due to persistent static clicks/bangs while the record was playing! Nobody, but nobody, could advise me how to fix the problem and believe me I tried everything!
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi All,
Last year I posted my thoughts on the London Super Gold Cartridge which still stand. The reason I purchased the London was to tide me over until the Dynavector xv1t was fixed. Well it was but along with it came a hum if played through the Aesthetix rhea phono stage to the extent I went out and purchased the latest Dynavector phono stage.
Yes it worked very well but I wanted to use the rhea because ir is a punch packing phono stage.
My frustrations got the better of me so after much research and dialogue I went and purchase the new Hana MH moving coil high output cartridge.
This cartridge is available as a ML model which means low output of . 2mv with the high output being at 2mv.
The reason for going for the high output was I was worried I could get a hum issue through the rhea.
It is generally thought that a low output will beat a high output moving coil with the caveat that a lot depends on the quality of the phono stage.
The impedance reccomended for the Hana MH is 47k which the rhea can accommodate.
Like any new piece of hi Fi equipment one buys there can be intrepidation as to what it will sound like on the home system.
Anyway it landed from the uk cost buy the way is £995.
Connected it all up set it at 2.1 grams which is point one of a gram above the reccomended tracking force. The arm was set slightly tail down. Placed a LP on the deck and sat back , I was amazed straight out of the box this cartridge was singing. I won't labour at this stage but jump to forty hours later.
This cartridge extracts information from a record such like I have never heard before. Hana claim the stylus which is micro
Line this captures the smallest details in the vinyl groove.
I would suggest this is a understatement. The sound stage is huge with a clarity and punch which makes one sit back in their seat.
The musicality is wonderful producing feet tapping whether one wants to or not.
Is it better than the Dynavector and London yes it is. Now perhaps it just happens to be a perfect match for my system but it sure as hell works.
I must also add that the Seas diamond tweeters in the loudspeakers contribute a lot these are phenomenal.
So if any of you are ready to change their cartridge or have the finances to change it anyway I cannot reccomend strongly enough this cartridge . Pure sound and a shear delight to listen to.
Happy listening
Alan
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Thanks for that Alan,
the HANA range has been on my radar for quite a while now and your report tallies with all the others I've read. I must save up!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Brilliant outcome! Like Ivor I've been impressed with the Hana range and often wondered about the higher output type. You were brave enough to go for it. Enjoy!
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Hi Guys
Most welcome to review yourself
Cheers
Alan